Reports on Jaya Bachchan plaint wrong: Rajya Sabha secretariatMay 16th, 2012 - 11:26 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 16 (IANS) Amid reports on some TV news channels that Samajwadi Party MP Jaya Bachchan had complained to Chairman M. Hamid Ansari about cameras excessively focusing on her during the oath-taking ceremony of actress Rekha, the Rajya Sabha secretariat Wednesday denied the news as factually incorrect.
“The attention of the secretariat has been drawn to the reports in the electronic media that Smt. Jaya Bachchan, MP, Rajya Sabha, has sent a complaint to Chairman, Rajya Sabha, regarding certain aspects of the coverage of the proceedings of the house. The news reports are factually incorrect,” said a statement by the secretariat.
“Smt. Jaya Bachchan has written to the chairman, committee on government assurances, with a copy to secretary general on matters pertaining to assurances given on the floor of the house,” the statement added.
It said that the live coverage of the proceedings of the Rajya Sabha continued to be undertaken by Doordarshan. “This function is yet to be transferred to the newly established Rajya Sabha television,” the statement said.
TV channels had reported in the evening that Jaya Bachchan had complained to Ansari that the cameras in the Rajya Sabha kept cutting to her when actor Rekha was being sworn-in as an MP Tuesday. Rekha was nominated to the upper house by the president.
Congress spokesperson Renuka Chowdhary told mediapersons that an individual had the right to complain.
There were reports claiming that Jaya Bachchan had got her seat shifted to avoid being in the camera frame with Rekha, who was her co-star in the 1981 Bollywood film “Silsila”.
Jaya Bachachan earlier had seat number 91 while Rekha was allotted seat number 99. Jaya Bachchan said she wanted to change the seat because of the demise of party colleague Brij Bhushan Tiwari, who sat next to her.
- Rekha takes oath in Rajya Sabha (Lead) - May 15, 2012
- Jaya Bachchan to swap seat in Rajya Sabha to avoid Rekha? - May 02, 2012
- Rekha right behind, so Jaya to swap seat? (Lead) - May 02, 2012
- Rekha right behind, so Jaya to swap seat? (Second Lead) - May 02, 2012
- Rekha's Rajya Sabha nomination no ordinary achievement: Mahesh Bhatt - Apr 27, 2012
- Rajya Sabha adjourned after stink - literally (Second Lead) - May 10, 2012
- Ask questions about me, not Amitabh, says Jaya - Mar 26, 2010
- Rajya Sabha adjourned after stink - literally (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- Shinde forced to apologise to Jaya Bachchan in Rajya Sabha (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Shinde apologises for 'filmy' remark against Bachchan (Second Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- President approves Tendulkar, Rekha's nomination to Rajya Sabha (Lead) - Apr 27, 2012
- Rekha to be felicitated at IIFA - May 31, 2012
- Coal fuels parliament disruptions for sixth day (Second Lead) - Aug 28, 2012
- Tendulkar, Rekha attend Rajya Sabha session - Aug 08, 2012
- Ansari re-elected vice president with wide margin (Intro Roundup) - Aug 08, 2012
Tags: actress rekha, bollywood film, camera frame, chowdhary, co star, demise, doordarshan, electronic media, government assurances, hamid ansari, jaya bachchan, live coverage, news channels, rajya sabha secretariat, renuka, Samajwadi Party, seat number, secretariat, tv channels, upper house