Replace tent classrooms with portable cabins: Court (Lead)January 25th, 2012 - 8:15 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 25 (IANS) Taking a serious note of schools being run from tents, the Delhi High Court Wednesday directed the government to immediately replace the temporary structures with pre-fabricated portable cabins.
The court’s order came on a plea filed by NGO Social Jurist which highlighted the poor facilities at a government co-education secondary school in Sundar Nagri in east Delhi.
“It is torturous for students and also the teachers. Since construction of building will take substantial time, the government is advised to set up portable cabins immediately,” the court said.
The division bench of Acting Chief Justice A.K. Sikri and Justice R.S. Endlaw directed the competent authorities to provide all infrastructures and safety to 390 students studying in the school.
The NGO said the schools were using tents as classrooms despite the court’s earlier order to the Delhi government and civic agencies not to run classes in tents.
The division bench said: “We cannot allow the school to run like this. Even schools having nice buildings remain closed during the cold in December and what will happen to these children.”
Advocate Ashok Agarwal, appearing for the NGO, told the court: “Only the boundary wall of the school is under construction and the completion of a building with 32 classrooms will take at least two to three years. The students have been suffering in the cold.”
- Delhi not to restore demolished night shelters - Dec 19, 2011
- Fill vacant seats for poor students in summer vacations: Court - Apr 20, 2012
- Court notice on pre-primary classes in state-run schools - Sep 06, 2012
- Court notice to Delhi government, MCD over poor conditions in schools - Sep 19, 2012
- Notice to Delhi over delayed admission of 1,400 students - Nov 02, 2011
- Panel to inspect tented Delhi corporation schools - Aug 18, 2010
- Restart night shelters immediately: High court to Delhi government - Dec 13, 2011
- Court questions government, school on girl's eye injury - Mar 23, 2011
- Nursery admissions on course as court reserves order (Lead) - Jan 18, 2012
- Court notice to Delhi government on pre-school admissions - Nov 02, 2011
- Government questioned on school's refusal to admit poor - Feb 01, 2011
- Rehabilitate students of demolished school: Court (Lead) - Aug 17, 2011
- Notice to Delhi government over schoolboy's injury - Nov 02, 2011
- Court notice to centre on diesel-run vehicles - Jul 19, 2012
- School kids move court against sale of junk food - Dec 21, 2011
Tags: ashok agarwal, boundary wall, chief justice, civic agencies, competent authorities, delhi government, delhi high court, division bench, east delhi, infrastructures, jurist, New Delhi, ngo, plea, portable cabins, secondary school, substantial time, temporary structures, tent, tents