Renuka Chowdhury sends team to probe Mangalore pub incidentFebruary 1st, 2009 - 4:51 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 1 (IANS) The Women and Child Development (WCD) Minister Renuka Chowdhury has sent a two-member team to conduct an independent probe into the attack last month on women in a Manglore pub, an official said here Sunday.Around 40 members of Sri Rama Sene (army of god Rama) barged into a Mangalore pub ‘Amnesia’ Jan 24 and bashed up several young men and women in the name of moral policing.
“The National Commission for Women (NCW) had sent a team to probe the Mangalore incident but their report has not yet come. Therefore, realising the urgency of the issue, the ministry has sent a two-member team to probe the matter,” a ministry official told IANS.
The WCD team, led by joint secretary Kiran Chadha, left for Mangalore Saturday night.
“The team will return in a day or two and submit a report on the matter,” the official added.
A three-member NCW team, led by Nirmala Venkatesh, visited the pub and said that the licence of the pub should be cancelled as it was illegally allowing live band performances and lacked proper security.
Venkatesh’s comment was, however, contradicted by the commission’s chairperson Girija Vyas.
- Mangalore pub attack victims stay away from ministry team (Lead) - Feb 01, 2009
- Women and Child Ministry to probe Mangalore attack case - Feb 01, 2009
- NCW, ministry reject member's report on Mangalore pub attack (Roundup) - Feb 06, 2009
- Mangalore incident triggers war of words in women's commission - Feb 03, 2009
- Renuka's ministry blames Mangalore pub attack on administration - Feb 06, 2009
- Elements like pub attackers are 'threat to national security': Renuka - Feb 03, 2009
- NCW member sacked over Mangalore assault probe - Feb 27, 2009
- Renuka Chowdhury sacks NCW member over Mangalore assault probe - Feb 27, 2009
- Women commission rejects member's report on Mangalore attack - Feb 06, 2009
- NCW member gets notice over Mangalore pub probe - Feb 06, 2009
- Nirmala Venkatesh was a flaw in the system: Renuka Chowdhury - Feb 28, 2009
- Mangalore pub's licence should be cancelled: NCW - Jan 31, 2009
- NCW rejects report on Mangalore pub attack - Feb 06, 2009
- Nirmala Venkatesh criticises Govt. for sacking her over Mangalore pub probe - Mar 02, 2009
- NCW condemns Mangalore pub violation - Jan 27, 2009