Renovation of ancient Kerala church beginsMarch 24th, 2008 - 9:45 pm ICT by admin
Kozhikode, March 24 (IANS) The renovation of one of the oldest churches in Kerala, Mother of God Cathedral, began here Monday. It is believed that the church was built in 1627 during the reign of Zamorin, the king of Kozhikode. The church went through many renovations in 17th and 18th centuries.
“This is the oldest church in Malabar,” said M.J. Marceline, the vicar of the church.
“We want to renovate the church without altering its ancient architecture. We want to reinvent the real Portuguese architecture. The plaster on wall and flooring will be redone,” he said.
The renovation cost is estimated at Rs.15 million. “The Goolberg Foundation in Portugal has offered to contribute Rs.5 million for the work. We have to raise the rest of the money locally,” the priest said.
An architect from Portugal has already visited the church. Marceline said the foundation was providing aid on a condition that the Portuguese architecture would be preserved.
The cathedral church will have teak panel ceiling with aluminium covering to prevent water seepage. The windows and doors will be repaired. The entire work will be done using teakwood.
“After the renovation, the church will be white and blue in colour as in old days,” said the vicar.
- 150-year-old cathedral damaged in New Zealand quake (Lead) - Feb 22, 2011
- All Goa churches soon to follow dress code - Jul 15, 2011
- 150-year-old cathedral damaged in New Zealand quake - Feb 22, 2011
- Renovation work at Jagannath temple on hold - Dec 07, 2011
- Portugal lose last friendly before the Euro 2012 - Jun 03, 2012
- Goa church accused of tampering with heritage complex - Feb 12, 2011
- Benefica may soon play with Goa soccer team - Aug 30, 2012
- Aga Khan Trust helps restore 16th century tomb - Jul 19, 2011
- 'Repentant' Manu Sharma donates Rs.5 mn to Missionaries of Charity - Dec 25, 2011
- Goa freedom fighters attack Portuguese envoy - Apr 26, 2011
- Mario Miranda was a quintessential Goan: Shyam Benegal - Dec 11, 2011
- Portuguese language could help build bridges: Goan author - May 30, 2012
- Syro-Malabar Church leader elevated to Cardinal - Jan 06, 2012
- Skeletons discovered in Italian cathedral belong to martyred Christian saints - Apr 21, 2011
- After temples, Goa church wants strict code for tourists - Jun 17, 2011