Rename India as Bharat, says Congress MPAugust 9th, 2012 - 5:52 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Aug 9 (IANS) India should be renamed Bharat in the constitution of the country, a Congress parliamentarian has demanded in a constitutional amendment bill introduced in parliament Thursday.
Congress MP from Goa Shantaram Naik, in the statement of objects and reasons of the bill, has said that ‘Bharat’ was a much more wholesome concept and that the word ‘India’ merely indicates territorial dimensions of the country.
‘India’ denotes a territorial concept whereas ‘Bharat’ signifies much more than the mere territories. “When we praise our country, we say, ‘Bharat Mata Ki Jai’ and not ‘India ki Jai’,” Naik’s bill stated.
Naik’s earlier bill on the subject introduced in the Rajya Sabha had lapsed on account of his term coming to an end. However, after his re-election, he has reintroduced the bill.
“The grounds for changing the name of the country into simply ‘Bharat’ are many. But, more than grounds or reasons, it is the sense of patriotism that the name generates and electrifies the people of this country that is relevant,” Naik told IANS over phone from New Delhi.
- Foreign mafias creating socio-economic chaos in Goa: Naik - Apr 27, 2012
- Mumbai Congress for ban on 'Shanghai' song - Jun 05, 2012
- High court refuses stay on release of film 'Shanghai' (Lead) - Jun 06, 2012
- Hazare begins daylong fast - Dec 11, 2011
- Ramlila ground washed in saffron, green as Advani ends 'yatra' - Nov 20, 2011
- Delhi to Mumbai: MPs debate, Anna protests Lokpal bill (Afternoon Lead) - Dec 27, 2011
- Katju favours strong Lokpal, but not in present form - Mar 31, 2012
- Hazare supporters observe fast in Chennai (Lead) - Dec 27, 2011
- Ramdev launches attack against prime minister - Jun 03, 2012
- Panel notification a victory of the people: Swami Agnivesh (Lead) - Apr 09, 2011
- Rahul Gandhi's suggestion ideal solution for Lokpal: MP - Oct 04, 2011
- Ramdev ends fast, targets PM; Congress hits back (Second Lead) - Aug 14, 2012
- Anna fasts against crackdown, India responds again - Jun 08, 2011
- Crowds swell as Anna begins fast (Lead) - Mar 25, 2012
- Bring Lokpal or go, Anna tells UPA (Lead) - Jul 30, 2012