Remove Balakrishnan as NHRC chief: Prashant BhushanDecember 28th, 2010 - 11:58 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 28 (IANS) Senior lawyer Prashant Bhushan Tuesday demanded the removal of former chief justice K.G. Balakrishnan as the chairman of the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) in the wake of the controversy involving the spectacular increase in the assets of his son-in-law, P.V. Srinijan.He said that as a part of the initiation of the removal of Balakrishnan as NHRC chairman, the central government should make a presidential reference to the Supreme Court for the ex-CJI’s acts of “serious misconduct” including the case of former communications minister A. Raja trying to influence Justice R. Reghupati of Madras High Court in a bail matter.
Prashant Bhushan said that former chief justice had lied about the mention of Raja’s name in the report of the then Chief Justice H.L. Gokhale of Madras High Court. Gokhale is presently a judge in the Supreme Court.
He also supported retired Supreme Court judge V.R. Krishna Iyer’s demand for the removal of Balakrishnan as NHRC head and a high-level probe into allegations against his family.
An FIR should be lodged under the Prevention of Corruption Act and the assets of Justice Balakrishnan and that of his close relatives should be investigated, Prashant Bhushan added.
Sreenijan is married to advocate K.B.Soni, daughter of Balakrishnan, the chief justice of India between January 2007 and May 2010.
A TV channel in Kerala Sunday aired a report claiming that Srinijin, a Congress leader and a lawyer by profession, had acquired huge wealth in the past three-four years.
- Apex court poser on plea against rights panel chief (Lead) - Feb 13, 2012
- Refer allegations against Balakrishnan to apex court, president urged - Apr 05, 2011
- Did not suppress Madras High Court chief's report: Balakrishnan (Lead) - Dec 15, 2010
- Did not suppress Madras High Court chief's report: Balakrishnan - Dec 15, 2010
- Moily says charge against ex-CJI kin needs verification - Dec 28, 2010
- Raja phone call case : Justice Gokhale contradicts former CJI - Dec 14, 2010
- Raja phone call case: 'I don't want to play a blame game', says Justice Reghupathi - Dec 18, 2010
- Raja phone call case: 'It is a judicial matter', says Moily - Dec 14, 2010
- Apex court seeks report on plaint against Balakrishnan (Lead) - Feb 18, 2011
- Ex-CJI's three kins found in possession of black money: Income Tax department - Feb 26, 2011
- Youth Congress wants wealth of ex-CJI's kin probed - Dec 30, 2010
- Balakrishnan's son-in-law resigns from Youth Congress - Jan 05, 2011
- Tax sleuths make progress in probe against Balakrishnan's kin - Jan 12, 2011
- NHRC chief denies dereliction of duty in Raja phone call case - Dec 08, 2010
- Income Tax returns: Moily defends former CJI Balakrishnan - Feb 15, 2011
Tags: central government, chief justice of india, congress leader, fir, gokhale, human rights commission, initiation, kerala, krishna iyer, level probe, national human rights commission, nhrc, prashant, prevention of corruption act, r krishna, raja, soni, spectacular increase, supreme court judge, tv channel