Relief fund caused witnesses to retract in BMW case: counselJuly 4th, 2008 - 10:20 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 4 (IANS) A relief fund established for the victims of a hit-and-run accident here that claimed the lives of six people had resulted in the witnesses in the case retracting their statements on the incident, a court here was told Friday. Special Prosecutor Rajeev Mohan, while reading from the statement of witness Manoj Malik who survived the accident, pointed out that the vehicle involved had been turned from a BMW car into a truck to shield prime accused Sanjeev Nanda, grandson of former Indian Navy chief Admiral S.M. Nanda, who was driving the vehicle.
Deposing before Additional Sessions Judge Vinod Kumar, Mohan contended that the constitution of a relief fund, the transfer to it of Rs 2.5 million, and Malik’s “undue haste” in getting his testimony recorded indicated “extraneous reasons” for his change in stance.
The arguments remained inconclusive and will resume Monday.
According to the prosecution, Nanda mowed down six people, including three policemen, Jan 10, 1999 while driving his BMW car in the Lodhi Road area of south Delhi.
- BMW case: Apex court chides police for delay - Jan 11, 2012
- Supreme Court to hear police appeal in BMW hit-and-run case - Apr 12, 2010
- BMW case: SC frees three convicted for proof tampering - Aug 01, 2012
- Sanjeev Nanda's sentence reduced in BMW hit-and-run case (Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
- Prosecution in BMW case stresses on witness's first statement - Jul 07, 2008
- R.K. Anand offers apology - Jan 18, 2011
- Apex court advises Nanda on courtship, wedlock - Apr 12, 2010
- BMW case: Apex court chides police for delay (Lead) - Jan 11, 2012
- Prosecution relies on Kulkarni's statement in BMW case - Jul 02, 2008
- Court likely to decide Sanjeev Nanda's fate Monday - Jul 19, 2009
- Delhi High Court reduces BMW convict's jail term to two years (Second Lead) - Jul 20, 2009
- Chronology of the BMW case - Jul 20, 2009
- Prosecution concludes arguments in BMW hit-and-run case - Jul 14, 2008
- Verdict in BMW hit-and-run case to be pronounced today - Sep 02, 2008
- SC upholds R K Anand's conviction, clears I U Khan in BMW case - Jul 29, 2009