Relief for Abu Salem in 1993 blastsFebruary 17th, 2012 - 3:16 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 17 (IANS) In a relief to Abu Salem, the Supreme Court has stayed all further proceedings in the two cases before the Mumbai TADA court in connection with his alleged involvement in the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts.
An apex court bench headed by Justice P. Sathasivam while issuing a notice to the central government and the external affairs ministry observed that it involved the larger question of whether the executive decisions by the government would affect the judicial decisions of the courts in Portugal.
Inquiring what undertaking was given by the Indian government to the Portuguese courts when Abu Salem was extradited, Justice Sathasivam said: “We have to respect the mandate of the court of appeal and the Supreme Court of Justice of Portugal.”
The Portuguese courts, while permitting the extradition of Abu Salem, had said that he should not be awarded death sentence or imprisoned for more than 25 years.
The court also issued notice seeking assistance from attorney general G. Vahanwati.
The court order followed a petition by Abu Salem seeking a stay on all criminal cases against him currently going on in India.
- Relief for Abu Salem as apex court stays trial in 1993 blasts (Lead) - Feb 17, 2012
- Apex court wants details of Abu Salem case proceedings - Mar 19, 2012
- MCOCA against Abu Salem dropped (Lead) - May 11, 2012
- Portuguese Supreme Court cancels Salem's extradition, CBI unfazed (Second Lead) - Jan 17, 2012
- Salem moves court in Mumbai blasts case - Jan 17, 2012
- Portugal Supreme Court cancels Salem's extradition, CBI unfazed (Lead) - Jan 17, 2012
- Salem's trial to continue, to move Portugal constitutional court: CBI - Jan 17, 2012
- India to approach Portuguese court on Salem extradition (Lead) - Jan 25, 2012
- Portuguese Supreme Court cancels Abu Salem's extradition, CBI to appeal - Sep 27, 2011
- Apex court refuses to give relief to don Abu Salem (Lead) - Sep 10, 2010
- Court reserves order on dropping charges against Salem (Lead) - Feb 09, 2012
- Salem can be tried for offences inviting death penalty: Supreme Court - Sep 10, 2010
- Court puts off Abu Salem case till Dec 20 - Nov 08, 2011
- Abu Salem can be tried for all crimes in India: Apex court - Sep 10, 2010
- 1993 Mumbai blasts case: Supreme Court to hear final hearing in January 2011 - Jul 26, 2010
Tags: apex, apex court, attorney general, central government, court bench, court of appeal, court of justice, death sentence, executive decisions, external affairs ministry, extradition, indian government, judicial decisions, mandate, mumbai serial blasts, New Delhi, petition, supreme court of justice, tada court, undertaking