Relief efforts intensified as Orissa floods worsenSeptember 25th, 2011 - 9:48 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Sep 25 (IANS) Orissa intensified relief efforts Sunday as a fresh round of floods, triggered by heavy rains, left 17 people dead and inundated more than 3,000 villages in northern and central parts of the state, an official said.
While six helicopters have been pressed into service for air dropping food packets in the worst-hit districts of Jajpur, Bhadrak and Kendrapada, two more choppers are expected to join the operation Monday, a senior official at the state flood control room here told IANS.
The fresh spell of floods in Brahmani, Baitarani and Budhabalanga rivers have hit more than 20 lakh people in 10 districts.
During the past four days, teams engaged in search and rescue operations evacuated nearly one lakh people and moved them to safer places as surging flood water entered their homes.
The Brahmani was flowing at 23.60 meters at Jenapur in Bhadrak Sunday against the danger level of 23 meters, the official said, adding this position is likely to continue for some more time as the river was receiving more water from its upper catchment area.
The other two rivers were however flowing below danger level, he said.
Floods triggered by heavy rains and release of huge quantities of water from Hirakud dam had earlier this month killed about 42 people and hit about forty lakh people in 19 of state’s 30 districts, including in the regions affected by the fresh floods.
The latest deaths caused by the fresh round of floods were reported from Jajpur (6), Sundergarh (4), Kendrapada (3), Balasore (2), Bhadrak and Mayurbhanj (1 each). The causes ranged from drowning to snakebite to house collapses.
Besides one person each was reported missing in Angul and Keonjhar districts after being swept away in flood waters, the official said, adding their bodies were however not been found so far.
- Fresh floods hit 900 Orissa villages - Sep 23, 2011
- Orissa flood situation continues to be grim - Sep 27, 2011
- Orissa airdrops food as floods get worse - Sep 24, 2011
- Orissa floods: Six die, toll rises to 32 - Sep 16, 2011
- Governor asks Orissa to probe dam 'mismanagement' - Oct 05, 2011
- Flood-hit Orissa gets two more choppers - Sep 26, 2011
- Dalai Lama gives Rs.10 lakh for flood-hit Orissa - Sep 30, 2011
- Four more die in Orissa floods, toll at 26 - Sep 15, 2011
- Death toll in Orissa flood rises to 22 - Sep 15, 2011
- Orissa flood toll 20 - Sep 14, 2011
- Floods displace thousands in Orissa - Sep 10, 2011
- Heavy rain triggers floods in Orissa - Oct 03, 2009
- Death toll in Orissa floods rises to 15 - Jul 15, 2009
- Orissa steps up flood relief efforts - Sep 12, 2011
- Orissa flood death toll rises to 26 - Jul 16, 2009
Tags: angul, bhadrak, catchment area, choppers, danger level, flood control, flood water, flood waters, floods, food packets, heavy rains, helicopters, house collapses, lakh, orissa, quantities, relief efforts, rescue operations, search and rescue, two rivers