Relatives suspect foul play in army jawan’s suicideAugust 10th, 2012 - 3:48 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, Aug 10 (IANS) Indian Army jawan V. Arun, who committed suicide in Kashmir early this week, was cremated at his hometown in Killimannor near here Friday morning.
The body was first placed at the school where he had studied before being cremated.
Arun was attached to the 16th Light Cavalry armoured regiment and posted in Samba district in Jammu and Kashmir. He had shot himself using his service weapon, allegedly over being denied leave.
His father Vishwamohanan Pillai said after they heard that their son had committed suicide, Arun’s wife had revealed that he was undergoing tremendous emotional strain.
“We came to know that three hours before he took away his life, he spoke to his mother and said that he will come for Onam vacation (in the last week of August),” Pillai said.
The parents have demanded an enquiry into the incident.
“We suspect that his death is suspicious and only a proper investigation will reveal if it was a suicide or murder because he said there were lot of issues in their unit and he was being hounded by senior officials,” added Pillai.
The army has ordered a court of inquiry into the suicide. Army sources have blamed the incident on shortage of officers. While 20 officers are needed per unit, only nine are available, the sources said.
Defence Minister A.K. Antony has sought a detailed report on the incident.
According to sources, jawans and officers of 16th Light Cavalry were allegedly involved in a verbal confrontation after Arun committed suicide.
- Army standoff in Kashmir blown out of proportion: PM - Aug 09, 2012
- Army unit standoff raised in parliament, PM bars debate (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Concerned over clashes within, Indian Army 'back to basics' - Sep 19, 2012
- India celebrates 63rd Republic Day - Jan 26, 2012
- Indian Army remembers fallen heroes of Battle of Basantar (Lead) - Dec 16, 2010
- Indian culture, military might unfold at R'Day (Second Lead) - Jan 26, 2011
- Indian Army remembers fallen heroes of 1971 Battle of Basantar - Dec 16, 2010
- Trooper in Kashmir goes berserk, kills four (Lead) - Apr 28, 2011
- Kerala gets ready for Onam - Aug 18, 2012
- President presents standards to five tank regiments - Nov 27, 2011
- 'KBC 6' rehearsals on, Big B happy (Movie Snippets) - Aug 14, 2012
- Student commits suicide, cremated without autopsy - Nov 27, 2011
- CRPF officer commits suicide in Kashmir - Aug 28, 2011
- Capt Kohli's mother dejected over Antony's reply, wants CBI probe - Nov 25, 2010
- Army to order mountain-strike BrahMos regiment soon (Lead) - Mar 31, 2012