Regulator resumes questioning Ramalinga RajuFebruary 5th, 2009 - 2:13 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Feb 5 (IANS) The market regulator Thursday resumed questioning the disgraced Satyam Computer Services founder B. Ramalinga Raju in Chanchalguda Central Jail here over the Rs.70-billion (Rs.7,000-crore/$1.43 billion) accounting fraud at the IT bellwether.Officials of the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI), led by south zone general manager and investigating authority Sunil Kumar, returned to the jail in the morning to question Raju for the second consecutive day.
The SEBI team Wednesday questioned only Ramalinga Raju, and it was not clear if his brother and former managing director B. Rama Raju, and former chief financial officer Vadlamani Srinivas would be grilled Thursday.
Jail officials are being allowed to watch Raju’s interrogation from a distance. However, SEBI has turned down the request of Raju’s lawyer S. Bharat Kumar to be allowed to be present during the interrogation or provide documents to his client.
Bharat Kumar said Raju needs legal assistance during questioning and announced he would take the matter to the Supreme Court.
On the first day, the SEBI team reportedly questioned Raju for five hours on possible insider trading, fudging of accounts and diversion of Satyam’s funds to other companies promoted by him and his family members.
This was the first time that SEBI officials had access to Ramalinga Raju after he confessed to the Rs.70-billion fraud Jan 7 while quitting as the chairman of India’s fourth largest IT services firm.
The Supreme Court had Tuesday allowed SEBI to interrogate the Raju brothers in jail Feb 4-6.
- Satyam scam: Anti-fraud cell officials interrogate Rajus - Feb 14, 2009
- Regulator grills Satyam's former finance chief in jail - Feb 18, 2009
- Satyam case: no bail for Raju, seven others - Aug 30, 2011
- Supreme Court cancels bail of Raju, five others (Second Lead) - Oct 26, 2010
- Regulator to quiz Satyam's former finance head Friday (Lead) - Feb 18, 2009
- Satyam Ramalinga Raju released on bail - Nov 05, 2011
- Satyam's Ramalinga Raju, two others get bail - Nov 04, 2011
- Raju, others denied bail in Satyam scam - Aug 04, 2011
- Satyam case: Apex court notice to CBI - Oct 21, 2011
- Market regulator grills Raju brothers in jail (Lead) - Feb 04, 2009
- No bail for Satyam Rajus, former finance head (Lead) - Feb 18, 2009
- SEBI concludes Rajus' interrogation in jail - Feb 06, 2009
- Supreme Court allows SEBI to quiz Satyam's Raju brothers (Third Lead) - Feb 03, 2009
- Court reserves orders on SEBI plea - Feb 17, 2009
- SEBI team reaches jail to question Rajus - Feb 04, 2009