Regulator eases solvency norms for life insurersJanuary 2nd, 2009 - 7:41 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Jan 2 (IANS) India’s insurance watchdog Friday offered life insurers, and more particularly the private life insurers, a mega New Year gift by easing solvency norms for the third time in recent days. Solvency margin is the excess of assets that a life insurer has to maintain over its liabilities.
With capital becoming scarce, the latest move by the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority (IRDA) will help insurers to conserve precious cash.
“Given the macro-economic environment and risk parameters, there is a need to utilise the capital optimally with affordable cost so that insurance penetration increases,” the regulator said in its order.
This time, IRDA has eased the solvency norms for unit-linked insurance policies (Ulip).
It was only last month that the regulator eased the norms for non-linked insurance products, while solvency norms were relaxed for pure term insurance policies in March.
- Norms soon for calculating embedded value of insurers - Jun 26, 2011
- Highest net asset value cover plans are risky: IRDA chief - Sep 15, 2011
- Insurance regulator bracing for spat with judiciary - Feb 14, 2011
- General insurers, with value twice of equity base, can tap public: IRDA - Sep 19, 2012
- More than 250 ULIPs sucked out of the market - Sep 02, 2010
- Life insurance firms mull riders to take policyholders for a ride - Aug 01, 2010
- IRDA adopts tough standards for approving new ULIPs - Aug 25, 2010
- ING Vysya Life to raise equity base by Rs.227 crore - Aug 24, 2010
- Insurance regulator tightens norms on equity-linked plans - May 04, 2010
- Insurance regulator may focus on small policyholder this year - Feb 14, 2010
- Insurance regulator to meet, brief life insurers on flaws - Jan 11, 2011
- 'ULIPs have potential for life insurers despite curbs' - Nov 22, 2010
- Day after truce, SEBI says order applies to new ULIPs - Apr 13, 2010
- IRDA move will kill variable insurance segment: Industry - Oct 23, 2010
- SEBI order on ULIPs a wake-up call for IRDA - Apr 12, 2010