Regulator allows computer-to-phone calls nowAugust 18th, 2008 - 6:30 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 18 (IANS) Soon, for the first time in the country, you would be able to make calls from computers to fixed line as well as mobile phones. The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) Monday permitted Internet service providers (ISPs) to offer this service. The measure will bring the country’s telecom sector in tune with global trends and will curtail the grey market tendencies, TRAI said.
Currently, a voice call can only be made from one computer to another, but not from a computer to a mobile or a fixed line phone.
The move is expected to intensify competition in the domestic long distance segment, to the benefit of consumers.
“It is envisaged that customers will ultimately benefit from cost effective and innovative Internet telephony service,” TRAI said in a statement.
“These recommendations will put Indian telecom sector in tune with global trends. The grey market tendencies shall be curtailed,” it added.
As per TRAI’s recommendations, STD service providers would be connected to ISPs through public Internet based on a mutual agreement.
Such an arrangement is expected to open huge channels of revenues for ISPs.
The Telecom Engineering Centre (TEC), the technical wing of the Department of Telecom, will work out the telephone numbers from identified blocks, which will be allocated to ISPs, and fixed line and mobile service providers, TRAI said.
- TRAI mulls paper on operators' exit policy - Jan 06, 2012
- Airtel launches 3G services in Congo - Oct 25, 2011
- TRAI sets high base price for 2G auction, operators cry foul (Lead) - Apr 23, 2012
- TRAI's reserve price extremely high: CII - May 06, 2012
- Regulator slams telecom department over internet telephony - Mar 31, 2009
- Telecom shares plunge on 2G spectrum price hike move - Apr 24, 2012
- Net telephony issue referred back to regulator - Feb 02, 2009
- Calling cards offer flexibility to consumers: Scindia - Feb 03, 2009
- 'TRAI plan on spectrum auction will curtail investment' - Apr 27, 2012
- TRAI says no need for exit policy - Apr 18, 2012
- India's premier ICT event kicks off in tech hub Bangalore - Oct 28, 2010
- Bharti Airtel quarterly net income down 28 percent (Lead) - May 02, 2012
- Telecom operators to seek six months to re-verify connections - Oct 14, 2010
- Phones to beat computers for surfing net in China - Jul 03, 2012
- BSNL's disconnection threat illegal and coercive: Private operators - Sep 13, 2011