Regulate placement agencies: Delhi High CourtMarch 25th, 2009 - 8:52 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 25 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Wednesday asked the state government to make laws to regulate the mushrooming placement agencies in the national capital.
Expressing a urgent need of having laws and guidelines, a division bench headed by Chief Justice Ajit Prakash Shah and Justice Sanjeev Khanna asked the government to frame a draft and submit it to the court.
The court was hearing a petition filed by an NGO Shramjivi Mahila Samiti. The petition alleged that minor girls from West Bengal, employed as maids, were badly treated and even sexually harassed by the placement agency owners.
“There is no law in Delhi to regulate the functioning of placement agencies,” Mukta Gupta said in the court.
The court refuted the government’s stand that it was asking the placement agencies to register themselves under the Shops and Establishment Act.
“This is not going to solve any purpose as it will only tell the number of agencies in the capital. Our concern is to regularise these so that no illegal activities take place,” the court said.
- Court gets draft Delhi bill on trafficking of kids (Lead) - May 28, 2012
- Court notice on Delhi's illegal colonies - Aug 22, 2012
- Notice to Delhi, central governments on unauthorised colonies - Feb 17, 2012
- Draft law ready to regulate Delhi placement agencies - Mar 07, 2012
- Delhi High Court dismisses plea against regularising illegal colonies - Sep 12, 2012
- Complaints of growing abuse by placement agencies in Delhi - Jul 03, 2011
- Court notice to government on CBI exemption from RTI - Jul 06, 2011
- Need regulator to monitor placement agencies: Court (Lead) - Jan 09, 2012
- Court transfers human trafficking case to Crime Branch - Jan 28, 2009
- Court gets draft Delhi bill on trafficking of kids - May 28, 2012
- Court questions government on plea against Amod Kanth - Jun 03, 2011
- Delhi government to frame guidelines to check human trafficking - Feb 04, 2009
- Court notice to government on Delhi security (Lead) - Sep 28, 2011
- Court issues notice to Delhi government over placement agencies - Jan 22, 2009
- Pan masala makers want curbs to go - Oct 20, 2011