Regal Nadal gets award from royaltySeptember 4th, 2008 - 4:27 pm ICT by IANS
New York, Sep 4 (DPA) Rafael Nadal has played like tennis royalty this season. Now the Spaniard has the award to prove it after receiving Spain’s Prince of Asturias prize for sport.Nadal, top seed at the US Open, was praised by the jury for his “commitment to the most noble sports values both in and outside of the court” as well as work with the underprivileged through his charitable foundation.
Nadal has won eight titles in 2008, including the French Open, Wimbledon and the Olympic gold medal. The award carries a prize of 50,000 euros ($73,000) plus a commissioned Joan Miro sculpture.
Last year, former German Formula One driver Michael Schumacher received the honour.
- Casillas, Xavi win Prince of Asturias award - Sep 06, 2012
- Russian pole vaulter Yelena Isinbayeva wins top Spanish award - Sep 02, 2009
- Nadal, Messi nominated for Laureus Sportsman of the Year award - Jan 11, 2011
- Djokovic dreams big in Olympic year - Apr 19, 2012
- List of French Open winners in last 10 years - Jun 11, 2012
- Ferrer crushes Nadal's 'Rafa Slam' dreams with straight-set Oz Open win - Jan 26, 2011
- Djokovic: Taking on Nadal in French Open final is ultimate challenge - Jun 09, 2012
- Bellucci only Brazilian in Olympics tennis singles - Jun 27, 2012
- US Open: Top four men cruise into semis - Sep 10, 2011
- Djokovic beats Nadal to win maiden Wimbledon title (Lead) - Jul 04, 2011
- 2008 most special year: Nadal - Oct 24, 2008
- Nadal beats Murray, to meet Djokovic in Wimbledon final (Lead) - Jul 02, 2011
- I dare to dream: Djokovic - Feb 07, 2012
- Djokovic pips Nadal to win longest Grand Slam final - Jan 29, 2012
- Nadal, Djokovic eyeing history in French Open final (Lead) - Jun 09, 2012