Refrain from self-immolation, Tibetian government-in-exile appealsSeptember 2nd, 2012 - 8:34 pm ICT by IANS
Dharamsala, Sep 2 (IANS) Expressing concern over the self-immolation protests in Tibet, the Central Tibetan Administration (CTA) based here Sunday appealed to its countrymen to refrain from such “drastic acts”.
“The CTA has made consistent and repeated appeals to the people to refrain from the drastic act of self-immolation. Still Tibetans continue this form of protest… We recognise our duty to make the protesters’ cries heard around the globe,” CTA said in a statement.
The Tibetans in exile observe Sep 2 as Tibetan democracy day.
The CTA said till now 42 people have set themselves afire to protest against China’s policies in Tibet and press their demand for freedom and return of the Dalai Lama to his homeland.
Reiterating its commitment to the ‘middle-way’ approach and dialogue to peacefully resolve the issue of Tibet, the CTA said “this is a win-win proposition for Dharamsala and Beijing”.
To continue the dialogue process with China, it said the Tibetan Task Force would meet in Dec after the new leadership in that country would assume office.
The task force was set up by the Tibetian government-in-exile in 1999 to assist envoys of spiritual leader the Dalai Lama to hold talks with the Chinese government.
The last round of talks - the ninth - was held in Beijing in Jan 2010. The government-in-exile had asked the Chinese leadership to clarify its stand on genuine autonomy for the Tibetan people.
China, however, said the two sides had “sharply divided views (on the issue) as usual”.
- Tibetan PM for resumption of talks with China - Aug 08, 2012
- China, not Dalai Lama, to be blamed for self-immolations: Sangay - Mar 10, 2012
- Refrain from drastic action, Tibetans told - Mar 27, 2012
- China, not Dalai Lama, cause for self-immolation: Sangay (Lead) - Mar 10, 2012
- Exiles predict more trouble in Tibet - Mar 17, 2012
- Respect human rights, Tibetan exiles ask China - Dec 10, 2011
- 'Dalai Lama not inciting self-immolations' - Mar 26, 2012
- Tibetan PM for resumption of talks with China (Lead) - Aug 08, 2012
- Dalai Lama blames Beijing for self-immolations - Apr 21, 2012
- Adopt liberal policies for Tibet, exiles urge China - Jan 07, 2012
- Dalai Lama asks China to review Tibet policy - Nov 05, 2011
- Exiles ask BRICS to raise Tibet with Hu - Mar 28, 2012
- 'Another monk has self-immolated in Tibet' - Jul 17, 2012
- Exiles seek UN intervention in Tibet - Mar 21, 2012
- Dalai Lama to attend prayers for peace in Tibet - Oct 17, 2011
Tags: acts, beijing, central tibetan administration, chinese government, chinese leadership, countrymen, cta, dalai lama, democracy, dialogue, exile, genuine autonomy, globe, protest, protesters, protests, self immolation, spiritual leader, task force, tibet