Reduction in fuel prices unfair: Asian Development Bank officialJanuary 14th, 2009 - 3:21 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 14 (IANS) A senior Asian Development Bank (ADB) official has questioned the Indian government’s policy decision to reduce retail fuel prices, but preventing oil companies from charging market rates when global prices were at a peak.”Is it right that when oil prices were at a peak, companies were not allowed to charge the appropriate price. I am just posing a policy question,” ADB executive director Ashok Kumar Lahiri told reporters on the sidelines of Petrotech 2009, an international conference on oil and gas, here Wednesday.
When international prices were hovering around $140 per barrel of crude last June, the government had increased prices of petrol and diesel by Rs.5 and Rs.3 per litre, respectively.
After crude prices fell by over $100 per barrel, the government reduced the price of petrol and diesel by Rs.5 and Rs.2 per litre last month. Petroleum Minister Murli Deora last week said there could be another price cut shortly. It is now expected to be announced Thursday.
Lahiri, however, said he expected oil prices to increase in the medium to long term, with an imminent shortfall in world supply.
- Diesel price to be decontrolled in due course: Deora - Nov 01, 2010
- No alternative to petrol price hike: Deora - Jan 17, 2011
- Oil firms ask government to compensate them - Apr 17, 2012
- Government intervention if crude oil prices turn volatile: Deora - Jul 02, 2010
- Ministerial panel to decide on diesel price hike next week (Lead) - Dec 15, 2010
- No government role in petrol price hike, says Pranab - May 15, 2011
- Petrol price cut by Rs.2 a litre (Second Lead) - Jun 02, 2012
- People have to bear some burden of oil price rise: Mukherjee - Jan 28, 2011
- No plans to raise diesel prices, roll back petrol rate: Jaipal - Jan 20, 2011
- Reddy rules out diesel price hike - Jan 20, 2011
- Fresh petrol price hike of Rs.1.80 per litre - Nov 03, 2011
- Oil firms mulling another price hike - Nov 01, 2011
- Government compelled to hike fuel price: Reddy - Aug 04, 2011
- Pakistan reduces petroleum prices - Jul 01, 2011
- Fuel prices revised countrywide - Jul 25, 2012