Red alert sounded in Kanpur after specific pointersFebruary 14th, 2010 - 8:57 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Feb 14 (IANS) Amid specific inputs pointing to a possible terrorist strike in Kanpur, the Uttar Pradesh government has sounded a red alert in the city, police said.
Additional Director General of Police (law and order) Brij Lal, who also heads the state Anti-Terrorist Squad (ATS), flew down to Kanpur Sunday afternoon to personally take stock of the situation in the highly populated and congested industrial town.
Lal held a closed-door meeting with local officials in the city and is understood to have charted out a contingency plan to meet any Pune-like situation.
A special ATS team along with a contingent of the Special Task Force (STF) has been stationed in Kanpur to guide local police in case of trouble.
Meanwhile, the administration has sounded a general alert in all sensitive districts, including the state capital, where a few terrorist modules have been busted in the past.
District police chiefs of communally volatile districts have been told to maintain a round-the-clock vigil at public places, particularly railway stations, bus stations, hospitals and cinema halls.
Security was also being beefed up at Ayodhya, Mathura and Varanasi that have been known to be on the radar of various terrorist outfits.
Security has also been stepped up in and around important installations like power houses as also major historical monuments like Taj Mahal.
- Uttar Pradesh on alert after Delhi blast - May 25, 2011
- High alert in Uttar Pradesh - Sep 07, 2011
- Cops probe calls from Iran to plant bombs in Meerut - Jul 18, 2011
- Delhi court blast suspect arrested in Ghaziabad (Lead) - May 27, 2011
- Sikhs on warpath in Pilibhit after holy book desecrated - Sep 16, 2011
- No headway in Allahabad blast probe - Jul 14, 2010
- Uttar Pradesh mounts vigil ahead of Ayodhya verdict - Sep 19, 2010
- Suspected ISI agent nabbed in Uttar Pradesh - Sep 18, 2011
- 1 shot dead, 10 burnt alive in caste clash - Mar 11, 2011
- Five detained in Allahabad blast case - Jul 13, 2010
- Cabinet meet postponed over Ayodhya verdict - Sep 29, 2010
- One killed in Allahabad blast (Second Lead) - Jul 12, 2010
- Security alert across India on Babri demolition anniversary - Dec 05, 2010
- Four more rape cases, attack on women reported in UP - Jun 20, 2011
- Toll in Uttar Pradesh accident 69, 23 yet to be identified - Jul 11, 2011
Tags: bus stations, cinema halls, city police, contingency plan, district police, historical monuments, kanpur, lal, law and order, mathura, police chiefs, police law, power houses, railway stations, red alert, stf, terrorist outfits, terrorist strike, uttar pradesh government, varanasi