Recovery of US Army pistol from gangster baffles policeJuly 29th, 2008 - 1:02 am ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, July 28 (IANS) A gangster was arrested here Monday for shooting dead another known criminal of the area early this month, but what has left police intrigued is that a US Army pistol was used as the murder weapon. Deputy Superintendent of Police Satbir Singh said Monday that Jaswinder Singh alias Rocky and his accomplice Amandeep Singh, who also has a criminal record, were arrested from the upscale Sector-11 here for the murder of Prabhjeet Singh alias Dimpy.
A sophisticated US-made .45 bore pistol, which is issued only to the US Army soldiers, was recovered from them.
Dimpy, who was once considered close to Uttar Pradesh’s known gangster Mukhtar Ansari, was gunned down near Sukhna Lake here July 7, 2006.
The police believe that the killing was the result of a gang rivalry.
The police will now approach the ministry of home affairs to take up the matter with the US authorities to ascertain how the pistol landed up in India. The weapon is said to be a deadly and precise one.
Dimpy was known for his links with top politicians and even eyed a party ticket in the Feburary 2007 Punjab assembly polls.
The police official said Dimpy was killed as he had not shared the ransom received for releasing a businessman kidnapped in Karnataka.
- Militant nabbed in Meghalaya - Jun 05, 2012
- Two Babbar Khalsa terrorists arrested (second lead) - Dec 23, 2011
- Gangster arrested in Uttar Pradesh - Jul 10, 2012
- BKI terrorists sent to custody till Jan 2 (third lead) - Dec 23, 2011
- Factfile on J. Dey murder case - Jun 27, 2011
- Guerrilla module busted in Srinagar - Aug 22, 2012
- Mukhtar Ansari's sharpshooter arrested - Nov 16, 2010
- Gangster Suri murder accused Bhanu arrested - Apr 21, 2012
- Gangster carrying Rs.1 lakh reward killed - Oct 28, 2011
- Gangster Suri murder accused Bhanu arrested (Lead) - Apr 21, 2012
- Police gun down gangster - Oct 25, 2011
- Son arrested for killing father over property dispute - Jun 26, 2012
- Hardcore Maoist held in Delhi (Lead) - Jun 07, 2012
- Six PLA militants surrender in Imphal - Sep 08, 2010
- Man with weapons arrested in Mumbai - Feb 14, 2012