Recovered bodies may be of missing IB officer, teacher: PoliceMarch 12th, 2011 - 5:52 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, March 12 (IANS) Two decomposed bodies recovered near the Maoist hotbed of Ayodhya Hills in West Bengal’s Purulia district will be subjected to DNA tests to confirm whether they were of an Intelligence Bureau official and his friend suspected to have been abducted by the left-wing rebels, police said Saturday.
Security personnel recovered the two decomposed bodies lying in a ditch in Dhanchatani village in Ayodhya Hill area Friday.
“The bodies have been sent for autopsy and DNA test for identification. We suspect that the bodies are those of Intelligence Bureau officer Partha Biswas and school teacher Soumyajit Basu, who were believed to have been abducted by the Maoists about five months back,” said Superintendent of Police Sunil Chowdhury.
Biswas and Basu went missing from Ghatbera near Balarampur in Ayodhya Hills Oct 23. Police claimed that Maoists had abducted them, but failed to trace them in the past five months. However, the Maoists have repeatedly denied their involvement.
“The bodies were recovered from the spot where the duo were last seen by the locals prior to their abduction. And even a motorbike believed to have been used by them was also found near the spot. For these reasons, the locals and police are suspecting that the bodies are those of Biswas and Basu,” said Chowdhury.
“But nothing can be said for sure without a DNA test as the bodies found were highly decomposed and beyond recognition. The relatives of Biswas and Basu will be requested to visit Purulia town for identification of the shreds of clothes found on the bodies,” he said.
Both Biswas and Basu were involved with an NGO working on wildlife conservation and tribal issues. They had not informed the Purulia police about their visit to Maoist-affected places.
- Family of Bengal's abducted duo suspect Maoist hand - Nov 05, 2010
- Abducted intelligence officer's wife threatens hunger strike - Jan 14, 2011
- Maoists abduct intelligence officer in Bengal - Oct 23, 2010
- Maoists deny abducting intelligence officer in West Bengal - Nov 04, 2010
- Unite in fight against Maoists: Buddhadeb - Nov 14, 2010
- Family members appeal to Maoists to free abducted duo - Oct 28, 2010
- Abducted intelligence officer still untraceable in Bengal - Oct 27, 2010
- Bengal police clueless about abducted intelligence officer - Oct 26, 2010
- Activists demand release of abducted officer, worker (Lead) - Oct 26, 2010
- Two Maoists arrested in West Bengal - Nov 22, 2010
- Maoists kill two women in Bengal - Mar 26, 2011
- Four decomposed bodies found in West Midnapore - Aug 12, 2010
- Maoist, linkman held in West Bengal - Nov 20, 2010
- Intelligence official abducted by Maoists in Bengal (Lead) - Oct 23, 2010
- Activists want abducted officer, worker freed (Second Lead) - Oct 26, 2010
Tags: abducted, abduction, ayodhya, biswas, decomposed bodies, dna test, dna tests, five months, hotbed, intelligence bureau, left wing, maoist, maoists, motorbike, purulia, security personnel, shreds, tribal issues, west bengal, wildlife conservation