Record tourist arrival is peace dividend : Kashmir ministerMarch 27th, 2012 - 1:16 am ICT by IANS
Jammu, March 26 (IANS) Jammu and Kashmir Tourism Minister Nawang Rigzin Jora said Monday that a peaceful 2011 has been the year of making history in terms of arrival of record number of tourists and pilgrims while “European nations see the atmosphere conducive for withdrawing negative advisory issued earlier.”
The minister stated in the legislative assembly Monday that the peace during the last year has “given fresh impetus to the tourism activities in the state be it leisure or adventure tourism in the Valley and Ladakh.”
Jora said that Kashmir Valley received the highest ever number of 13.14 lakh tourists which was 79 percent higher than the previous year. Ladakh also witnessed an unprecedented increase in arrivals in 2011 which were 1.79 lakh, 136 percent more than the previous year.
He said, “the inflow of pilgrims to Shri Mata Vaishno Devi Ji has touched 10 million. Shri Amar Nath Ji pilgrimage went off very smoothly and highest ever number of pilgrims visited the cave this year.”
He informed the house that Germany has already withdrawn the Travel Advisory.
The state government with collaboration of centre is drawing future plans to boost the tourism sector, “which can offer good employment to youth as well,” the minister added.
- 'Record tourist arrival in Kashmir is peace dividend' - Mar 26, 2012
- Annual Amarnath yatra begins (Lead) - Jun 24, 2012
- Kashmir had record 12 million tourists - Dec 31, 2011
- Preparations begin for Amarnath pilgrimage - Mar 21, 2012
- Amarnath yatra begins - Jun 28, 2011
- Thousands reach Kashmir base camps for Amarnath Yatra (Second Lead) - Jun 28, 2011
- Rock climbing wall inaugurated in Srinagar - Sep 05, 2012
- Governor reviews Amarnath pilgrimage facilities - Jul 17, 2012
- Record 10 million pilgrims visit Vaishno Devi shrine (Lead) - Dec 29, 2011
- Jammu and Kashmir to promote adventure tourism - May 28, 2011
- Tourism can boost Kashmir's economic development: Omar - Dec 31, 2011
- Vaishno Devi shrine board to help out Leh victims - Aug 28, 2010
- Kashmir safe for tourists, expects 1 mn this year: Minister - Jan 28, 2011
- 15,000 pilgrims start this year's Amarnath Yatra (Lead) - Jul 01, 2010
- Third tunnel opens at Vaishno Devi shrine - Apr 21, 2010
Tags: adventure tourism, amar nath, future plans, impetus, inflow, jammu and kashmir, jammu and kashmir tourism, jora, kashmir, kashmir valley, ladakh, legislative assembly, peace dividend, pilgrims, tourism activities, tourism minister, tourism sector, tourist arrival, travel advisory, unprecedented increase