Record ridership in Delhi Metro on Raskha BandhanAugust 13th, 2011 - 8:55 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 13 (IANS) Delhi Metro carried over 20 lakh passengers and set a new record in a single day’s ridership Saturday when the Raksha Bandhan festival was celebrated, an official said.
Metro trains carried 2,066,925 passengers, surpassing the previous record of 1,830,944 for a single day set Aug 2, the Delhi Metro official said.
“It was also the first time the Delhi Metro carried over 20 lakh passengers on a single day. The ridership witnessed a steep increase since Saturday morning. Usually the Metro witnesses a huge rush on Raksha Bandhan,” the official said.
The average daily ridership of Delhi Metro has been increasing by a lakh every month. It was 14 lakh in May and jumped 18 lakh in August.
“Managing the crowd was very difficult today (Saturday). The number of footfalls was overwhelming; at times we were not able to stop men entering the reserved ladies’ coaches,” said a security guard stationed at Rajiv Chowk Metro station.
“The Metro ridership saw a spike since Saturday morning. Some trains had to be stopped for a few extra minutes at stations because of the huge crowds at the stations,” the guard added.
Normally, 15 trains are withdrawn from the lines during non-peak hours — 12.30 p.m. to 4.30 p.m. But in view of the festival rush, these trains are kept in service to provide 200 extra trips Saturday, said an official.
The Delhi Metro normally witnesses a huge rush on Raksha Bandhan — about one lakh extra commuters travel every year on the festival day.
In 2010, 12.02 lakh passengers travelled on the day of the festival.
Besides additional train trips, extra manpower was deployed at customer facilitation and ticket counters, the official said.
The usually overcrowded Noida line (Dwarka Sector 9 to Noida City Centre/Yamuna Bank to Anand Vihar) recorded the maximum ridership of 798,498 followed by the Gurgaon line (Jahangirpuri to HUDA City Centre, Gurgaon) at about 714,384 commuters.
- Metro ridership touches 18 lakh, sets new record - Aug 02, 2011
- Traffic jams: Police try to pacify commuters - Aug 14, 2011
- Delhi Metro plans extra trips for Raksha Bandhan - Aug 01, 2012
- Extra metro trips on Raksha Bandhan - Aug 10, 2011
- Delhi Metro ridership touches 22 lakh (Second Lead) - Aug 02, 2012
- Delhi Metro ridership touches 22 lakh - Aug 02, 2012
- Metro plans extra trips on Raksha Bandhan - Aug 22, 2010
- Metro crowded due to 'Dhan Teras' - Nov 03, 2010
- Power outage cripples Delhi Metro, thousands hit (Third Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- Over 14 lakh used Delhi Metro daily during Games - Oct 15, 2010
- Huge crowds on Delhi Metro due to Games - Oct 05, 2010
- We miss classes due to Delhi Metro snags, students complain - Dec 07, 2010
- Delhi Metro revenue surges on highest ridership - Aug 05, 2009
- Closing ceremony spectators preferred Metro for travel - Oct 15, 2010
- Technical snag hits Delhi Metro - Aug 24, 2010
Tags: anand, aug 2, chowk, commuters, delhi metro, facilitation, footfalls, metro station, metro trains, peak hours, rajiv, raksha bandhan, ridership, sector 9, security guard, single day, steep increase, ticket counters, train trips, yamuna