Record pilgrims visit Vaishno DeviDecember 25th, 2011 - 3:03 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, Dec 25 (IANS) A record number of 9.9 million pilgrims from India and abroad visited the Hindu shrine of Mata Vaishno Devi in Jammu region this year, an official said Sunday.
The Shri Mata Vaishno Devi Shrine Board (SMVDSB) said the number of pilgrims has been increasing by about a million every year in the last four years.
“We are any time about to touch the figure of 10 million pilgrims,” Board additional chief executive officer M.K. Bhandari said.
The number of pilgrims in 2010 was 8.75 million.
The board was formed in 1986 to manage the shrine. “That time the number of pilgrims visiting the shrine was 1.3 million,” Bhandari said.
The shrine cave is nestled in Trikuta Hills, about 50 km north of Jammu. Situated at a height of 5,200 feet, it is a 12 km trek from Katra, the base camp of the pilgrimage.
The shrine, dedicated to Goddess Durga, has three natural rock formation called ‘pindies’.
- Vaishno Devi pilgrimage suspended due to forest fire - Jun 23, 2012
- Vaishno Devi shrine has record 10 million pilgrims - Dec 28, 2011
- Heavy rush of pilgrims to Vaishno Devi shrine - May 15, 2012
- Vaishno Devi pilgrimage resumes after forest fire (Lead) - Jun 23, 2012
- Over five million pilgrims visit Vaishno Devi till June - Jul 04, 2012
- Record 10 million pilgrims visit Vaishno Devi shrine (Lead) - Dec 29, 2011
- Now, ropeway for pilgrims to Vaishno Devi shrine - Sep 23, 2011
- Vaishno Devi Gurukul gets affiliated to Varanasi varsity - Sep 11, 2012
- Ban Ganga has little water for Vaishno Devi pilgrims - Apr 16, 2010
- Court suspends mining near Vaishno Devi hills - Mar 21, 2012
- Over 100 Pakistani Hindus arrive for Vaishno Devi pilgrimage - Jun 10, 2009
- Kashmir had record 12 million tourists - Dec 31, 2011
- Now, e-tickets for chopper ride to Vaishno Devi - Apr 29, 2011
- Pilgrims throng Vaishno Devi on New Year - Jan 01, 2011
- Land slips on Vaishno Devi shrine route to be checked - Feb 12, 2011
Tags: 10 million, bhandari, chief executive officer, dec 25, goddess durga, hindu shrine, India, jammu, mata vaishno devi, mata vaishno devi shrine board, natural rock formation, pilgrimage, pilgrims, shri mata vaishno devi shrine board, trek, vaishno devi shrine, vaishno devi shrine board