Record 10 million pilgrims visit Vaishno Devi shrine (Lead)December 29th, 2011 - 12:50 am ICT by IANS
Jammu, Dec 28 (IANS) Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah Wednesday hailed all those who made it to the Vaishno Devi Shrine, with 10 million pilgrims offering prayers there in a single calendar year for the first time.
Rakesh Vishwakarama, a doctor from Jaipur, Rajasthan, became the 10 millionth pilgrim to visit the Hindu shrine in Jammu and Kashmir in 2011.
Abdullah first posted on Twitter: “For the first time ever the number of pilgrims to Mata Vaishno Devi crossed the 1 Cr mark for a calendar year.”
“Hats off to all those who make this pilgrimage such a smooth affair for so many lakhs of pilgrims,” the chief Minister said in another tweet.
This was a tribute to Shri Mata Vaishno Devi Shrine Board, that during its 25 years of existence, has made the pilgrimage a showcase of crowd management in the most challenging terrain and weather conditions.
The cave shrine is situated at the height of 5,200 feet above sea level in Trikuta hills, 50 km from Jammu.
- Vaishno Devi shrine has record 10 million pilgrims - Dec 28, 2011
- Record pilgrims visit Vaishno Devi - Dec 25, 2011
- Heavy rush of pilgrims to Vaishno Devi shrine - May 15, 2012
- Over five million pilgrims visit Vaishno Devi till June - Jul 04, 2012
- Vaishno Devi pilgrimage suspended due to forest fire - Jun 23, 2012
- Kashmir had record 12 million tourists - Dec 31, 2011
- Sreedharan on Vaishno Devi Board - Mar 27, 2012
- Court suspends mining near Vaishno Devi hills - Mar 21, 2012
- Vaishno Devi pilgrimage resumes after forest fire (Lead) - Jun 23, 2012
- Chidambaram in Jammu, visits Vaishno Devi - Apr 10, 2012
- Tourism can boost Kashmir's economic development: Omar - Dec 31, 2011
- Vaishno Devi Gurukul gets affiliated to Varanasi varsity - Sep 11, 2012
- President visits Vaishno Devi shrine, ends Kashmir visit - Nov 26, 2011
- Next year, fitness must for Amarnath pilgrims - Oct 22, 2011
- President arriving in Jammu - Nov 24, 2011
Tags: 10 million, calendar year, cr mark, crowd management, feet above sea level, hindu shrine, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, kashmir chief minister, lakhs, mata vaishno devi shrine board, millionth, pilgrim, pilgrimage, pilgrims, rajasthan, rakesh, tweet, twitter, weather conditions