Rebels legitimate representatives of Libyan people: GermanyJune 13th, 2011 - 9:56 pm ICT by IANS
London, June 13 (IANS) Germany has recognised Libya’s rebels as “the legitimate representatives of the Libyan people”, BBC reported.
“We want a free Libya, in peace and democracy without (Muammar) Gaddafi,” German Foreign Minister Guido Westerwelle was quoted as saying in the rebel stronghold of Benghazi.
About a dozen countries have recognised the rebel National Transitional Council. The council emerged from the forces that began a revolt against Gaddafi’s rule.
Even after months of conflict - that began in February - Gaddafi remains in control of the capital Tripoli while the rebels hold Benghazi.
Speaking alongside rebel foreign minister Ali Issawi, Westerwelle said: “We share the same goal - Libya without Gaddafi. The national council is the legitimate representative of the Libyan people.”
Libyan nationals listening burst into applause after he made the statement.
Council vice chairman Abdel Hafez Ghoga welcomed the German statement as a “very big step”.
Germany earlier refused to back a UN Security Council resolution authorising NATO action to protect Libyan civilians.
- Rebels tighten grip on Tripoli, capture Gaddafi's sons - Aug 22, 2011
- After UN fly ban, world bracing 'all necessary measures' to protect Libyans (Third Lead) - Mar 18, 2011
- New rulers declare Libya officially liberated - Oct 24, 2011
- Libyan rebels council seeks Arab League recognition - Mar 12, 2011
- Rebels offer $1.3 mn bounty for Gaddafi - Aug 25, 2011
- Britain expels Gaddafi diplomats - Jul 27, 2011
- Gaddafi representatives in talks with France - Jul 11, 2011
- Libyan rebels to move headquarters to Tripoli - Aug 24, 2011
- Libyan rebel government to move to Tripoli next week - Sep 04, 2011
- Libyan rebels legitimate governing authority: US - Jul 15, 2011
- Libyan rebels' military chief killed - Jul 29, 2011
- Libya's rebel leader wants 'fair trial' for Gaddafi - Aug 23, 2011
- Sarkozy to visit Libya for talks with opposition - May 27, 2011
- Spain expels Libyan envoy - Jun 17, 2011
- Netherlands to reopen embassy in Libya - Sep 17, 2011
Tags: applause, bbc, benghazi, civilians, council vice chairman, dozen countries, foreign minister, guido westerwelle, hafez, legitimate representatives, libya, muammar gaddafi, national transitional council, nato action, rebel stronghold, rebels, revolt, security council resolution, tripoli, un security council