Real Madrid’s lead shrinks to four pointsApril 9th, 2012 - 4:33 pm ICT by IANS
Madrid, April 9 (IANS) Real Madrid’s lead at the top of the Spanish Primera Liga was reduced to just four points following a 0-0 draw with third placed Valencia.
Madrid were held by Valencia at the Santiago Bernabeu Stadium Sunday night in a thrilling game that deserved more goals, Xinhua reported.
However, some fine work by Valencia goalkeeper Vicente Guaita and his Madrid counterpart Iker Casillas as well as the woodwork assured a clean sheet.
Barcelona’s 4-1 win away to Zaragoza Saturday means the Catalans have narrowed Madrid’s lead from 10 points a month ago, to just four with seven games remaining this season.
Although Barcelona were below their best, they still had too much firepower for a spirited Zaragoza.
Barca keeper Victor Valdes saved a penalty from Carlos Aranda, four minutes before Aranda put the home side ahead just before the half hour.
Sunday kicked off with Levante’s incredible season continuing thanks to a 2-0 win at home to Atletico Madrid. Valdo and Aruna Kone scored the goals in the first 10 minutes and Atletico were unable to respond.
The result means Levante move to top four in the league and maintain their chance of qualifying for next season’s Champions League.
Athletic Club Bilbao recovered their league form with a 1-0 home win against Sevilla thanks to a Fernando Llorente header, while Mallorca and Granada produced a dull 0-0 draw which edged both sides closer to Primera Liga safety.
- Copa return leg matches may see some surprises - Jan 10, 2012
- Valencia hold Barcelona to 2-2 draw - Sep 22, 2011
- Barcelona move closer to Real Madrid with 4-1 win - Apr 08, 2012
- Real Madrid to face Sevilla in Spain's Primera Liga - Dec 15, 2011
- Messi back from India to resume Spanish liga action - Sep 09, 2011
- Barcelona beat Sporting Gijon to top Spanish League - Oct 03, 2011
- Easy fixture for Real Madrid at home - Jan 27, 2012
- Real Madrid extend La Liga lead - Nov 21, 2011
- Crucial weekend for Madrid, Barca in La Liga - Feb 10, 2012
- Real Madrid a win away from Liga title - May 02, 2012
- Real Madrid steer seven points clear of Barcelona - Jan 29, 2012
- Real Madrid need Supercup win to boost morale - Aug 28, 2012
- Liga's penultimate round about survival and qualifying - May 04, 2012
- Levante shows no substitute for experience - Oct 17, 2011
- Racing Santander relegated from Spanish Liga - Apr 29, 2012
Tags: aruna kone, athletic club bilbao, atletico madrid, carlos aranda, catalans, counterpart, fernando llorente, firepower, four minutes, four points, goalkeeper, real madrid, santiago bernabeu stadium, seven games, spanish primera liga, valdo, victor valdes, woodwork, xinhua, zaragoza