Real Madrid to face Sevilla in Spain’s Primera LigaDecember 15th, 2011 - 7:32 pm ICT by IANS
Madrid, Dec 15 (IANS) Real Madrid will be the centre of attraction this weekend when they visit fifth-placed Sevilla in the Spanish Primera Liga with FC Barcelona in Japan contesting the FIFA Club World Cup.
Jose Mourinho’s side got their campaign back on track following their defeat to Barca in last weekend’s Clasico with a 2-0 triumph against third tier side, Ponferadina midweek, but face a far more difficult test Saturday when they visit Sevilla.
A point will take Madrid back to the top of the table, but Sevilla, who are currently fifth in the table, will make things hard for Mourinho’s men, XInhua reported.
Sevilla have become a side that is hard to beat under coach Marcelino, although that defensive toughness has come at the expense of goals as players such as Jesus Navas are carrying out more defensive duties.
The last weekend of games of 2011 kicks off with Sporting Gijon entertaining Espanyol. Sporting’s win away to Rayo Vallecano last week gave the club a morale boost, but they need a win to climb out of the relegation zone.
Mallorca also aim to continue their climb up the table when they face a Getafe side that got some breathing space with a win against Granada last weekend.
Athletic Club Bilbao will hope to return to winning ways after a defeat and two draws in their last three matches, with what should be a comfortable game at home to bottom of the table, Zaragoza. Bilbao will hope striker Fernando Llorente shakes off a knee injury.
Levante look to continue their incredible season with a visit to Granada, while Osasuna have a chance of closing in on the top six when they entertain Villarreal.
Elsewhere, Real Sociedad can continue to climb up the table away to Racing Santander that has taken four points from the two games since Hector Cuper resigned as first team coach.
Finally third-placed Valencia face sixth placed Malaga. It will be Valencia’s first home game since crashing out of the Champions League and last weekend’s defeat to Real Betis. As always, Unai Emery’s men will need an early goal in order to calm down the nerves of an always demanding Mestalla crowd.
- Real Madrid entertain Granada at home - Sep 01, 2012
- Real Madrid look to comeback after El Classico defeat - Dec 12, 2011
- Liga's penultimate round about survival and qualifying - May 04, 2012
- Messi back from India to resume Spanish liga action - Sep 09, 2011
- Villarreal back to winning ways in Primera Liga - Sep 21, 2011
- Real Madrid extend La Liga lead - Nov 21, 2011
- Valencia hold Barcelona to 2-2 draw - Sep 22, 2011
- Real Madrid blank Espanyol to keep lead in La Liga - Mar 05, 2012
- Easy fixture for Real Madrid at home - Jan 27, 2012
- Real Madrid a win away from Liga title - May 02, 2012
- Three Spanish clubs eye Europa League semis - Apr 04, 2012
- Barcelona-Real Madrid quarter-final clash likely - Dec 24, 2011
- Barcelona win easy in La Liga, Real maintain 10-point lead - Feb 20, 2012
- Mourinho evasive ahead of Barca tie - Jan 25, 2012
- Valencia torn between domestic and European aims - Mar 28, 2012
Tags: athletic club bilbao, breathing space, club world cup, espanyol, fc barcelona, fernando llorente, fifa club world cup, hector cuper, home game, jesus navas, jose mourinho, knee injury, marcelino, racing santander, real madrid, real sociedad, relegation zone, spanish primera liga, team coach, winning ways