Ready to give up presidency: ZardariJanuary 11th, 2012 - 12:37 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Jan 11 (IANS) Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari has said he is ready to give up his post if his Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) and coalition partners so desire.
Zardari along with Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani was presiding over a meeting Tuesday of parliamentary leaders of coalition partners in Islamabad, Dawn News reported.
The meeting that discussed the overall political situation in the country was attended by Awami National Party (ANP) chief Asfandyar Wali, Pakistan Muslim League-Quaid (PML-Q) chief Chaudhry Shujaat Hussain, Muttahida Quami Movement (MQM) leaders Farooq Sattar and Babar Ghauri and senior leaders of the PPP.
The president has called a special session of the National Assembly, the lower house of parliament, Jan 12.
There will be another meeting of the MPs before the Jan 12 parliament session, said presidential spokesman Farhatullah Babar.
- Zardari has not offered to resign: Spokesman (Lead) - Jan 11, 2012
- Raja Pervez Ashraf is PPP candidate for PM's post (Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- Raja Pervez Ashraf elected Pakistan's 25th PM (Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- PPP, PML-Q strike power-sharing deal - May 02, 2011
- Zardari seeks unity of allies before US visit - Jan 13, 2011
- Gilani heading 45-member delegation for India 'cricket diplomacy' visit - Mar 30, 2011
- Breakthrough eludes Gilani in Pakistan's political crisis (Lead) - Jan 03, 2011
- PML-Q won't blackmail beleaguered PPP-led Pak coalition govt: Shujaat - Jan 04, 2011
- President enjoys immunity, Pakistan PM tells apex court - Jan 19, 2012
- Cracks widen in Pakistan's ruling coalition, key ally quits - Dec 21, 2010
- Major setback for Pakistan government as MQM parts ways - Dec 28, 2010
- 'PML-Q, MQM agree to join hands in Pakistan's national interest' - Feb 14, 2011
- Zardari in marathon meeting with allies over fall-out of SC verdict on NRO - Dec 19, 2009
- PML-N, MQM form alliance against Pakistan government - Jul 06, 2011
- ANP lays down 'three conditions' to Taliban for dialogue - Jan 27, 2011
Tags: asif ali zardari, babar, coalition partners, dawn news, ghauri, gilani, house of parliament, hussain, islamabad, national assembly, pakistan muslim league, pakistan peoples party, parliament session, parliamentary leaders, pml, political situation, presidential spokesman, sattar, special session, yousuf