Ready for any challenge: Indian Army chiefJanuary 15th, 2012 - 6:09 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 15 (IANS) The Indian Army is ready to face any challenge, external or internal, as it is equipped with ultra-modern technology, the head of the 1.13 million-strong force said Sunday.
“The army is ready for any challenge, external or internal. We have equipped our forces with ultra-modern technology,” General V.K. Singh said before taking the salute at an impressive marchpast on the 64th Army Day.
He also exhorted all Indians to remember the sacrifices of the soldiers who had laid down their lives over the years in the defence of the country.
“On this day, let us all remember those who laid their lives fighting for the nation,” he said.
The parade, which showcased India’s military might, was witnessed by a large crowd and marked the day when an Indian officer, General (Later Field Marshal) K.M. Cariappa, assumed command for the first time.
Featuring in the parade were soldiers from 10 Indian Army regiments and armour in the form of T-72 main battle tanks, as also Bullwhip mine-ploughs and Pinaka and Smerch multiple launch rocket systems as martial music and patriotic sentiment filled the air.
There was also a flypast by the Army Aviation Corps helicopters and by para-motor commandos.
Daredevil motorcyclists thrilled the spectators with their incredible stunts and were cheered loudly by the audience.
The army also presented a mock battle in which infantry, armored units, artillery and army aviation choppers retook a “captured” area in all of 15 minutes.
Among those who attended the parade were the Indian Navy and Indian Air Force chiefs, military attaches of several countries, and the recipients of gallantry awards.
The army chief earlier presented 15 gallantry awards, of which six were posthumous.
- Southern Command celebrates Indian Army Day - Jan 15, 2011
- Celebration and introspection... India goes tricolour on 63rd R-Day (Roundup) - Jan 26, 2012
- Indian Army empowered to fast-track special equipment for commandos - Apr 17, 2012
- Military might, 'mini-India' on display at 62nd Republic Day - Jan 26, 2011
- IAF to showcase network centric operations on Republic Day - Jan 21, 2011
- Indian Army celebrates Kargil war Victory Day - Jul 26, 2011
- Tough days ahead for new Indian Army chief (News Analysis) - May 31, 2012
- Nation gets set to celebrate 61st Republic Day - Jan 25, 2011
- 28-aircraft flypast at Republic Day parade - Jan 21, 2011
- India, Russia sign pact for Smerch rockets - Aug 28, 2012
- Russian military to wear berets for first time - Apr 15, 2011
- IAF combat planes set capital's skies ablaze - Jan 26, 2011
- Artillery 'decisive arm' in battlefield: Army Chief - May 10, 2010
- Govt. has inputs about terrorists' plans to target cities with para-gliders - Mar 03, 2010
- India's Territorial Army turns 62 - Oct 09, 2010
Tags: army aviation, army chief, field marshal, flypast, gallantry awards, indian air force, indian army, indian army regiments, indian navy, large crowd, launch, main battle tanks, martial music, modern technology, patriotic sentiment, pinaka, ploughs, rocket systems, strong force, t 72