RBI governor denies discussing interest rate cut with governmentFebruary 28th, 2009 - 9:41 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 28 (IANS) Putting to rest speculations over cut in key rates, Reserve Bank of India Governor D. Subbarao Saturday said his meeting with top officials of the government was to discuss India’s position on the upcoming Group-20 (G-20) global finance ministers’ meeting.
“My meeting was only pertaining to the G-20 summit,” Subbarao told reporters, referring to his extended talks with Planning Commission Deputy Chairman Montek Singh Ahluwalia.
Economic Affairs Secretary Ashok Chawla and RBI Deputy Governor Rakesh Mohan were also present at the meeting.
The G-20 meeting is scheduled to be held March 14 in London.
The market was buzzed with speculations of further cut in interest rates by the country’s central bank as the economic growth dropped to 5.3 percent for the third quarter and inflation went down to 3.36 percent.
- RBI denies discussing interest rate cut with government (Lead) - Feb 28, 2009
- India's inflation soars to 7.55 percent in August (Lead) - Sep 14, 2012
- India's potential growth rate has come down: RBI - Jun 19, 2012
- Rate cut will stimulate growth: Montek - Apr 17, 2012
- PM to meet RBI Governor to discuss monetary measures to curb inflation - Jan 12, 2011
- Subbarao sees scope to cut rates in 2012 - Jul 31, 2012
- Rs.17,000 crore released into banking system; retail interest rates expected to fall (Roundup) - Sep 17, 2012
- Rate cuts unlikely as RBI reviews policy this week - Jan 22, 2012
- RBI governor meets Mukherjee ahead of policy review - Apr 03, 2012
- RBI keeps key rates unchanged, cuts SLR by 1 percent (Roundup) - Jul 31, 2012
- Economic growth will fall below 6 percent: Kaushik Basu - Jul 31, 2012
- Indian economy to grow 6 to 6.5 percent in 2012-13: Montek - Jul 31, 2012
- Inflation too high, says RBI; defends tight money policy (Lead) - Jun 19, 2012
- India's central bank hikes rates again to fix inflation (Roundup) - Nov 02, 2010
- Prime Minister meets top officials on curbing inflation - Oct 15, 2011