Raza, Husain, Souza top grossers in online art auctionSeptember 14th, 2010 - 2:25 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sept 13 (IANS) Early contemporary masters stormed back to the art auction market this week, steering the top-of-the chain price trends at the two-day Saffronart’s autumn online auction that made Rs.29 crore ($6.4 million).
While artist S.H. Raza’s “Bharatiya Samaroh” sold for Rs.4.07 crore ($905,000), competitive bidding saw Jogen Chowdhury’s “Couple 1- Man and Woman” rake Rs.1.60 crore ($354,583). Master of figurative drawing F.N. Souza’s “Last Howl from the Cross” sold for Rs.1.55 crore ($345,000) and an untitled work by M.H. Husain fetched the auction house Rs.1.29 crore ($287,500), a statement issued by the auction house in Mumbai said Monday.
Leading contemporary artist Subodh Gupta’s untitled work sold for Rs.1.22 crore ($271,400) while G. Ravinder Reddy’s iconic sculpture of a woman’s head saw intense competition, crossing the Rs.1 crore mark closing at Rs.1.15 crore ($256,197).
The art works on sale included those by Akbar Padamsee, Subodh Gupta, Manjit Bawa and Jehangir Sabavala.
A composition, “Icarus” by Sabavala was picked up by a private collector for Rs.1.6 crore ($354,583). One of his earlier work. “Casuarina Line 1″ had set a new world record for Rs.1.16 crore ($258,762).
Speaking about the success of the auction, Dinesh Vazirani, CEO and co-founder of Saffronart said: “The sale saw strong prices achieved across the board as well as sustained bidding from serious and mature collectors. This is a very positive message for the market. The art market continues to show strength.”
- Sabavala sets price record at Saffronart art summer sale - Jun 21, 2010
- Arpita Singh sets record as art mart booms again - Dec 11, 2010
- Tyeb Mehta's 'Kali' sells for Rs.5.72 crore in online auction - Jun 20, 2011
- Husain's work fetches over Rs.2 crore (With Image) - Mar 19, 2010
- Tyeb Mehta still rules art auctions - Sep 25, 2011
- Bawa sets new price record at global online auction (With Image) - Dec 14, 2009
- Saffronart auctions 'words and lines' by Indian masters - Apr 19, 2011
- Tyeb Mehta work sells for $2.1 mn at Christie's South Asian auction - Jun 12, 2012
- Husain fetches Rs.1.45 crore at art auction - Nov 06, 2011
- E-commerce changing India's art mart: Saffronart CEO (Interview) - Sep 15, 2011
- Four private Indian art archives from US on sale at Sotheby's - Aug 09, 2012
- Sliding Chinese art mart gives India price edge - Aug 20, 2012
- Saffronart summer sale to focus on modern masters (With Images) - Jun 13, 2010
- Art auction market witnessing new generation of buyers (With Images) - Jul 11, 2012
- Roller coaster year for Indian art (2011 in Retrospect) (With images) - Dec 28, 2011
Tags: art auction, art market, auction house, auction market, competitive bidding, contemporary artist, figurative drawing, gupta, husain, intense competition, jehangir, man and woman, manjit bawa, online auction, padamsee, price trends, private collector, ravinder, untitled work, vazirani