Ravi meets diaspora youth visiting IndiaMay 16th, 2011 - 11:51 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 16 (IANS) Overseas Indian Affairs Minister Vayalar Ravi Monday met a group of 24 diaspora youth participating in 17th Know India Programme (KIP), intended to promote awareness on the different facets of life in India and the progress made by the country in various fields.
Interacting with the participants, Ravi said that the programme provides a unique forum for students and young professionals of Indian origin to visit India, share their views and bond closely with today’s India.
“I am happy to welcome all of you who have come from different parts of the world. This is a programme to introduce India to you. I want you to tell your parents about the economic growth of India when you back to your respective countries,” he said.
Earlier in the day, the participants met President Pratibha Patil.
“Given a chance I would like to work in India because it is a beautiful place. This is the first time that I have to India on my own. I really liked the Delhi Metro trains which are not there in Peru,” said Aarti Daryanany, 19, who came from the South American country.
The other participants hailed from countries including Fiji, France, Peru, South Africa, Surinam, Trinidad and Tobago and the US. During their three-week stay in India, they visited places like the Golden Temple, the Attari Border post as well as Delhi and Agra.
The programme was conducted by the Overseas Indian affairs ministry in partnership with the Punjab government.
- Mukherjee asks youth diaspora to learn about India - Sep 07, 2012
- IPL attracts visiting overseas Indian youth - May 03, 2012
- 28 PIOs to learn more about India - Sep 22, 2011
- Diaspora youth gets a taste of India - Sep 22, 2010
- A memorable homecoming to roots for Indian PIOs - Oct 09, 2011
- Annual diaspora meet begins in Jaipur Saturday - Jan 05, 2012
- People of Indian origin meet Vayalar Ravi - Oct 13, 2009
- Over 1,500 delegates to attend Indian diaspora conclave in 2012 - Aug 26, 2011
- South African group to trace roots in India - Oct 10, 2010
- 39 diaspora youth get a glimpse of India - Apr 15, 2010
- India honours 14 of diaspora for enhancing its global image - Jan 09, 2012
- India's annual diaspora conclave kicks off Saturday - Jan 06, 2012
- Cochin to host next annual Indian diaspora meet - Jun 19, 2012
- A tribute from India to the 'old diaspora' (With Images) - Aug 22, 2010
- A tribute from India to the 'old diaspora' (With Images, Lead, Superseding earlier story) - Aug 22, 2010
Tags: affairs ministry, beautiful place, border post, delhi metro, economic growth, facets, fiji, golden temple, india share, indian affairs minister, indian origin, metro trains, New Delhi, president pratibha patil, punjab government, surinam, trinidad and tobago, vayalar ravi, visiting india, young professionals