Rat-bite death: Hospital orders probe, Mamata alleges CPI-M role (Lead)December 24th, 2011 - 8:28 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Dec 24 (IANS) As authorities at the state-run SSKM hospital Saturday ordered an enquiry into the death of a patient after he was allegedly bitten by a rat, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee Saturday hinted that the Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) were leaving rats in the hospitals in order to embarrass her government.
“Everyday more than 10 lakh people visit state-run hospitals. When good job is done in more than nine lakh cases, they don’t talk about it. But if there is an incident of one rat they make hue and cry over it,” Banerjee, who has accused the Marxists of mixing poison in the water plant in South 24 Parganas, told reporters.
“The media inclined to the CPI-M are running live shows with this rat incident. They may have created this incident. I think they have only left the rats there. They (Left Front) never went to the spot when tragedies used to hit the state. But we rush to the spot immediately. That’s why they are angry and are trying to come back to power by any means,” she said.
“They have done nothing in the health sector in the last 35 years. They should not talk much. They even lacked the political will to create developmental plans for the development of health infrastructures in the state,” she said.
A 53-year-old patient, who was admitted to the SSKM hospital on Dec 11 with serious ailments, died Friday. The relatives of the patients have alleged that the patient died due to excessive bleeding caused by the rat bite.
“I have ordered an enquiry into the incident. I don’t know whether he died of rat bite or not but I have been informed that the patient was very ill. So I can comment only after the enquiry gets completed,” said SSKM hospital superintendent Provash Chakraborty.
Left Front members Friday staged a noisy walk-out from the state assembly after failing to elicit any response from the government on Banerjee’s allegation that the Marxists have mixed poison in the water at Nodakhali of South 24 Parganas district.
–Indo-Asian News service