Rastogi remanded in CBI custody till July 18July 11th, 2008 - 11:12 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, July 11 (IANS) Narendra Kumar Rastogi, who was deported from the US for evading custom duty worth Rs. 540 million in India, was Friday remanded into custody of Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) till July 18 by a court here. According to sources with the CBI economic offences wing (CBI-EOW), Rastogi is wanted in at least seven cases in Mumbai, apart from several other cases in Delhi.
The CBI-EOW was tracking the four Rastogi brothers - Virendra, Narendra, Ravindra and Subhash - for the past eight years. Virendra was also caught and sentenced by a London court for defrauding banks of millions of dollars.
Narendra Rastogi is accused of evading duties while exporting scrap material to different countries.
The fraud came to light after the Mumbai customs department launched an inquiry against 18 of its men for clearing a suspect consignment without proper verifications.
The matter was then referred to the Central Vigilance Commission (CVC) which in turn handed it over to the CBI for further investigations, sources said.
- US extradites alleged conman to India - Jul 04, 2008
- CBI to take tainted bureaucrat, 5 others to Daman - May 03, 2010
- CBI court grants five day remand of arrested customs officers - Mar 09, 2011
- CVC, CBI to devise joint mechanism for 2G probe - Feb 05, 2012
- CBI sends team to US to extradite Narendra Rastogi - Jul 03, 2008
- CBI studying CVC report on Corporation Bank - Jul 28, 2011
- Deshmukh, Shinde being probed for Adarsh scam, says CBI - Jun 05, 2012
- CBI to quiz Shehla Masood murder accused for 3 days - Mar 03, 2012
- 'Monitor CBI probe in Kandla Port cam' - Apr 02, 2012
- Two provident fund officials arrested for graft - Oct 05, 2011
- Suspended IPS officer's judicial custody extended - Feb 29, 2012
- CBI gets remand of Shehla Masood murder accused - Feb 29, 2012
- CBI to submit 2G probe reports to CVC: Supreme Court (Second Lead) - Feb 02, 2012
- Adani Group managing director held for tax evasion - Feb 27, 2010
- CBI to submit 2G probe report to CVC: Supreme Court - Feb 02, 2012