Rare coins fetch over Rs.400,000March 16th, 2008 - 5:08 pm ICT by admin
Ahmedabad, March 16 (IANS) Rare coins dating back to the Kushana period (2-4th century AD) went under the hammer for Rs.421,000 (over $10,000) at an auction here. The collection went to Sandeep Jain of Kolkata. Numismatists from across the country had gathered for the rare sale held by Todywalla Auctions and the Gujarat Coins Society Saturday evening.
It was a paradise for coin collectors. There were coins of medieval India, Indian sultanates, Mughal era, independent kingdoms, East India Company as well as Bengal, Bombay and Madras presidencies.
There were also foreign coins, tokens, medals and bank notes.
With people shouting excitedly and waving numbered placards to register their bids, around 55 coin enthusiasts were seen vying to lay their hands on the coins of their choice.
Almost all the coins were sold above the estimated price. The Kushana coin collection, which fetched the highest at Rs.421,000, had an estimated price of Rs.260,000.
A total of 127 items of the 158 were auctioned. Only 33 were left unsold.
Farokh S. Todywalla, proprietor of Todywalla Auctions, told IANS that he had expected many more people from Ahmedabad at the auction. He added that the presence of many old players was encouraging.
Asked if these artefacts could be sold abroad for a fortune, Todywalla said that any coin or artefact over 100-years-old could not be taken out of India without the permission of the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI).
Goga Jain of Delhi, another bidder, bought coins worth Rs.2.5 million. He has been collecting coins for 37 years and claims to have a collection of 450 gold and silver coins.
Coins of medieval India aroused keen interest among bidders, especially those used during the rule of Mughal emperor Akbar and Jahangir.
- Rare 1793 Penny fetches more than $1 million at Florida auction - Jan 09, 2012
- IPL-4: Little-known Christian top buy; veteran Jayasuriya unsold (List of players auctioned) - Jan 09, 2011
- Vintage one rupee coin auctioned for Rs.220,000 - Aug 17, 2008
- Aamir now owns Shammi Kapoor's jacket - Aug 01, 2012
- Little Chinese bowl fetches $2.5 mn! - Jun 09, 2012
- Auction houses picking on Indian heritage - Sep 29, 2011
- IPL auction: Christian top draw on a day of tactical bidding (Evening Lead) - Jan 09, 2011
- Coin minted in 1789 auctioned in Australia - Jul 05, 2011
- Sikh relics to be auctioned in Britain - Nov 09, 2011
- 'Raza masterpiece unsold but art market stable' - Mar 22, 2012
- Super Kings bag Jadeja for $2 m in IPL Auction - Feb 04, 2012
- In Chandigarh, 'AK-47' sells for Rs.3.10 lakh - Oct 10, 2011
- Colonial India's treasures live in a Delhi home - Dec 14, 2011
- Rare Indian, Asian art at Christie's sale (With Images) - Mar 15, 2012
- Coin shortage makes everyday life difficult in West Bengal - Aug 19, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,