Rare albino palm civet seized, handed over to Lucknow zooAugust 30th, 2008 - 3:00 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Aug 30 (IANS) A rare albino palm civet that was seized with the arrest of two smugglers in Uttar Pradesh has been handed over to the Lucknow zoo, officials said here Saturday.The Special Task Force (STF) seized the wild cat, along with some rare birds, from two smugglers in Meerut a few days ago.
“The duo, Jivan Thakur and Ashish, had caught these animals from the forests near the Uttar Pradesh - Uttarakhand border and were planning to sell them,” an STF official said.
“The general palm civet is found easily but this albino variety is very rare,” explained zoo director Renu Singh.
“The cat is omnivorous and likes to live on trees, particularly the palm tree. It has been kept in the nocturnal house of the zoo and we do not think any other zoo in the country has this species,” she added.
- Rare mammal rescued from Jamia campus - Apr 30, 2011
- Two poachers held with leopard skins in Uttar Pradesh - Mar 06, 2010
- Three held with 100 cartridges and firearms - Feb 16, 2011
- Great Himalayan National Park vies for World Heritage status - Jun 13, 2012
- Woman, two sons murdered in Uttar Pradesh - Aug 06, 2011
- Endangered animals crushed by vehicles - Jan 29, 2012
- Endangered animals crushed by vehicles in Tripura (Lead) - Jan 29, 2012
- Four held with heroin worth Rs.4 crore - Sep 03, 2010
- Silver Pheasant's sex change stuns zoo - Apr 05, 2012
- Tirupati temple proposes breeding of civet for musk - Mar 10, 2011
- Two arrested with Rs.11 lakh in fake notes - May 15, 2010
- 350 rare birds rescued in Ghaziabad - Jul 29, 2011
- Wildlife racket through Internet networking sites busted - Aug 26, 2008
- Tripura zoo on alert after death of birds, animals - Mar 12, 2011
- Rare civet albino cat comes to Lucknow zoo - Aug 31, 2008