Rapist offers to marry his victim, but women’s panel objectsMarch 31st, 2009 - 10:36 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 31 (IANS) The Delhi Commission for Women (DCW) Tuesday approached the Delhi High Court after a rape victim, under pressure, accepted a marriage offer of herr attacker, who has been denied bail by a city court.
The DCW in its letter said the woman had approached the commission for help as she was under pressure from her family.
The letter stated that a wrong precedent would be set if the rape accused are allowed to marry their victims during the pendency of the cases. The commission sought urgent intervention in the case, saying that if the attacker is granted bail, the law becomes meaningless.
The court will hear the DCW contention Wednesday.
The commission said that the woman had agreed to marry her attacker as she did not have any alternative.
The woman said she had been misguided both by her family and the legal advice she received, said the commission.
In its letter, the DCW argued that such steps by rape victims are against law, and if such instances take place, in all rape cases the accused men will walk scot-free after marrying their victims.
The incident happened in 2005 when Momin, a neighbour of the victim, called her to his house on some pretext, drugged her and raped her.
Momin, in jail for three years, was left with no other means of securing bail and decided to accept the victim as his wife. His bail application stated that even the victim had agreed to marry him.
The prosecution, however, opposed the bail, stating he cannot get away with such a heinous offence by deciding to marry the woman.
- Court to hear women panel's plea for rape victim - Mar 31, 2009
- Cannot frame guidelines in every rape case: court - Apr 01, 2009
- Bombay HC grants actor Shiny Ahuja bail in rape case - Apr 27, 2011
- Maharashtra Police officer gets bail in rape case - Apr 23, 2012
- Investigating agency rules out rape in Pipili case - Mar 10, 2012
- Shiney Ahuja jailed for 7 years for raping maid (Lead) - Mar 30, 2011
- Four booked for Odisha gangrape after mounting pressure - Jan 10, 2012
- Shiney Ahuja's maid now claims rape never took place - Sep 08, 2010
- Stage Actor Daniel Wozniak Accused Of Killing And Dismembering Two People - May 29, 2010
- Pune gang-rape accused trio get life terms - Oct 21, 2011
- Arrest of ex-minister sought in Odisha gang rape - Mar 05, 2012
- Couple seeks protection of Delhi women's rights panel - Jun 26, 2010
- Shiney Ahuja's maid now claims rape never took place (Lead) - Sep 08, 2010
- Odisha gang rape: Doctors protest action - Jun 27, 2012
- Shiney Ahuja's maid now claims rape never took place (Second Lead) - Sep 08, 2010