Rapist Malaysian Indian wants shorter jail term for using condomJune 21st, 2008 - 2:34 pm ICT by IANS
Kuala Lumpur, June 21 (IANS) A Malaysian of Indian origin, who was sentenced to 36 years in jail four years ago for repeatedly raping his minor daughter, wants his jail term reduced because he used a condom while committing the crime. The rapist’s lawyer S.I. Rajah told a court of appeals here that the sentence imposed by the lower court was excessive and the father was remorseful. “Justice should be tempered with mercy,” the lawyer said.
Rajah told the court the sentence should be reduced since “the accused used a condom every time he committed the offence”, the New Straits Times reported Saturday.
The three-member bench of the appellate court refused to overturn the lower court’s judgement since it held that a strong message should be sent that such an act must not be condoned.
“You mean it is okay to rape using a condom?” a judge asked in anger.
Four years ago, the sessions court in Petaling Jaya sentenced the accused to a total of 36 years in jail on four counts of rape. The rapist, now 49, appealed against the sentence because he was a first-time offender.
The man raped his 11-year-old daughter between May 2003 and August 2004 when the child’s mother used to be away at work.
Deputy public prosecutor Aslina Joned told the court that the accused, a father of five, had betrayed the trust of his daughter.
Aslina said the father would give the victim five ringgit ($1.5) as a reward every time he raped her. A class teacher noticed the girl was in a state of depression and questioned her.
The man was arrested Aug 12, 2004, after his daughter told her teacher about his crime. He pleaded guilty to the charges in the sessions court a week later.
On the first three counts, then Sessions Court judge Nurmala Salim sentenced him to 18 years in jail. The sentences were to run concurrently. He was sentenced to a further 18 years of imprisonment for the fourth count.
- Rapist leaves scar on woman's chastity: Court - Sep 02, 2012
- Malaysian man raped underage daughter in front of mum, jailed for 80yrs - Feb 03, 2011
- Actor Shiney Ahuja appeals rape conviction - Apr 19, 2011
- Rapist exposes himself to judge in Britain - Sep 21, 2012
- Castration for rapist? Many women don't agree - May 03, 2011
- Pinki alleges harassment in police custody (Second Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- Long trials to blame for rapists walking free - Nov 30, 2010
- Man jailed in Britain for raping drunk women - Sep 24, 2011
- 'Malaysian Fritzl' sentenced to 28-yrs jail - Jun 05, 2010
- Shiney Ahuja gets bail from Bombay High Court - Apr 27, 2011
- In virtual world, men support castration for rapists - May 02, 2011
- 14,400-year jail term for rapist father in Philippines - Sep 24, 2010
- Malaysian Fritzl gets 40 years prison term - Jul 06, 2010
- Shiney Ahuja jailed for 7 years for raping maid (Lead) - Mar 30, 2011
- Gujarat woman wants son's biological father to pay maintenance - Jun 29, 2010