‘Raped’ Kolkata woman alleges police inactionFebruary 15th, 2012 - 10:41 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Feb 15 (IANS) The city police Wednesday promised swift action following allegation of inaction by an Anglo-Indian woman who said she was raped in a moving car in the heart of the metropolis earlier this month.
“We are looking into the matter with all sincerity and assure swift action. We are also looking into allegation of police misbehaviour and, if found guilty, they will be punished,” Joint Commissioner of Police (Crime) Damayanti Sen said.
As per police reports, the mother of two and a former call centre employee was raped on the night of Feb 5. She was also severely beaten. The police complaint was filed Feb 9 while her medical examination was conducted Tuesday.
Talking about her ordeal to a Bengali news channel, she said: “I was raped at gun point by one Sharafat Ali inside a car in which I was given a lift. The man kept hitting me mercilessly even after he had finished raping me.”
The victim said she had boarded the car because the lift was offered by a man Lavi Gidwani with whom she had a friendly chat a few minutes earlier at a club from where she was returning home late in the night.
“He looked and talked decent. But it was his friend Ali who sat beside me and I realised I was in trouble. I only remember the car going towards St Xavier’s College (Park Street) … later, I was kicked out of the car,” she said.
The victim had undergone a medical examination herself Feb 9, the day she reported the matter to the police.
“It has been a week now, nothing has happened. I have been receiving phone calls threatening me not to approach the police. I am now apprehensive about my children and my family,” said the 37-year-old, adding that she was harassed and subjected to misbehaviour by police while lodging the complaint.
Gidwani’s father, however, claimed that his son was out of the country at the time of the alleged crime.
- Kolkata's Park Street rape case: Police find discrepancies - Feb 16, 2012
- Two held for raping Kolkata woman in moving car (Lead) - Feb 19, 2012
- Three held for raping Kolkata woman in moving car (Second Lead) - Feb 19, 2012
- Kolkata police find holes in rape case; Mamata says cooked up (Lead) - Feb 17, 2012
- Rape case handling shows Mamata in poor light (West Bengal Newsletter) - Feb 19, 2012
- Mamata says her Park Street rape statement distorted - Feb 27, 2012
- Rape case handling shows Mamata in poor light (Lead, West Bengal Newsletter) - Feb 19, 2012
- Two held for raping Kolkata woman in vehicle - Feb 18, 2012
- Kolkata rape: Governor defends Mamata - Feb 23, 2012
- Kolkata 'rape' case: Now police say offence 'must have occurred' - Feb 17, 2012
- Kolkata rape case: Officer denies division among police - Feb 20, 2012
- Another rape in Bengal, victim deaf and mute - Feb 29, 2012
- Kolkata rape: Three sent to judicial custody - Mar 03, 2012
- Police officer who solved Park Street rape case removed - Apr 04, 2012
- Kolkata rape: Suspect's fiancee offers help to police - Feb 21, 2012
Tags: anglo indian, bengali news channel, city police, commissioner of police, damayanti, friend ali, friendly chat, gidwani, gun point, indian woman, medical examination, misbehaviour, moving car, police complaint, police crime, police inaction, police reports, s college, st xavier, swift action