Rape victim succumbs to burn injuriesApril 18th, 2012 - 12:30 am ICT by IANS
Jaipur, April 17 (IANS) A 16-year old Dalit girl succumbed to burn injuries at a hospital here Tuesday, 12 days after she attempted suicide by self-immolation depressed over being raped, police said.
The girl had been allegedly raped April 3 in Neem Ka Thana area of Sikar district, some 150 km from Jaipur.
“Fearing humiliation, she had attempted suicide the next day. She poured kerosene on her body and set herself on fire. She was rescued by the family members at that time, but she had sustained about 60 percent burn injuries,” said a police officer.
The officer said that the girl was referred to SMS Hospital in Jaipur due to her critical condition.
“She succumbed to burn injuries Tuesday,” said the officer.
The police had arrested a 24-year old man, Rajaram, on charges of raping the girl.
- Cancer patient commits suicide - Aug 18, 2012
- Husband, wife commit suicide - Jan 25, 2012
- Jaipur auto driver arrested for rape - Jul 13, 2012
- 26/11 martyr's uncle succumbs to self-immolation bid - Feb 05, 2011
- Woman attempts self-immolation in Meerut - Aug 03, 2012
- 'Superstitious' woman burns herself, two daughters alive - Oct 05, 2011
- JNU's Tibetan students pay homage to 'martyr' - Mar 29, 2012
- 26/11 martyr's uncle attempts self-immolation outside parliament (Second Lead) - Feb 03, 2011
- Rajasthan girl killed, lover critical in suicide pact - Jun 27, 2012
- 16-year-old girl in Rajasthan alleges gang rape - Jun 29, 2012
- Student sets herself afire after teacher's beating - Oct 14, 2011
- Woman forced into prostitution by husband ends life - Apr 16, 2012
- Two attempt self-immolation, 78-year-old dead - Mar 10, 2011
- 26/11 martyr's uncle attempts self-immolation outside parliament (Lead) - Feb 03, 2011
- Minor girl raped, burnt alive - Jan 29, 2012