Rape-murder accused’s acquittal reversed; gets life termFebruary 13th, 2012 - 5:38 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 13 (IANS) Three years after a rape-murder accused walked free, he is set to be put behind bars again. The Delhi High Court has sentenced the man to life term and slammed the trial court for committing an error by acquitting him in 2009.
A division bench consisting of Justice S.P. Garg and Justice S. Ravindra Bhat reversed the trial court’s acquittal order and said: “We are satisfied that the trial court committed manifest errors in regard to appreciating the evidence of the deceased’s younger brother.”
Prakash raped a 14-year-old girl in a slum in south Delhi’s Green Park area, strangled her and set the body on fire Jan 18, 2000. The victim’s eight-year-old brother was a witness to the crime.
“The act of the accused by setting fire was clearly intended to result in disappearance of evidence. In view of these findings, the judgment and order of acquittal is hereby reversed,” the court said.
The judges directed Prakash to surrender before the trial court Feb 22 to serve the life term.
The trial court acquitted him in 2009 on the ground that the evidence recorded by the victim’s brother was not corroborated by other witnesses and could not be relied upon.
Dismissing the acquittal order, the high court said that the motive of the accused could not be ascertained but that did not signify its absence.
- (HOLD) Delay in appeal outcome no ground for exoneration in murder: SC - Sep 08, 2012
- SC admits plea against acquittal in Bihar massacre (Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- Parts of hostile witness's evidence can be used: Apex court (Lead) - May 22, 2012
- Mukhtaran gangrape accused's acquittal seen as setback to women's rights in Pakistan - Apr 22, 2011
- Acquittal of five in Shivani Bhatnagar murder case contested (Lead) - Feb 13, 2012
- Court upholds life term for man who raped, killed daughter - Oct 23, 2011
- Can rely on evidence given by child: Apex court - Mar 21, 2011
- Nithari killings: Apex court sends Koli to the gallows (Third Lead) - Feb 15, 2011
- Court acquits man of rape charge, says victim unreliable - Jun 11, 2010
- Accused should not gain from police lapses: SC - Aug 18, 2012
- Shivani murder: R.K. Sharma's acquittal challenged in apex court (Lead) - Jan 11, 2012
- Apex court issues notice to 26/11 attack acquitted - Sep 02, 2011
- Four accused in Adnan Patrawala murder walk out of jail - Jan 31, 2012
- Evidence of hostile witness carries weight: Apex court - May 22, 2012
- Nithari killings: Apex court confirms death for Koli (Second Lead) - Feb 15, 2011
Tags: acquittal, bhat, body on fire, delhi high court, disappearance, division bench, garg, green park, judgment, motive, New Delhi, old girl, rape murder, ravindra, s green, setting fire, slum, south delhi, trial court, witness