Rape accused Uttar Pradesh cop arrestedJuly 13th, 2012 - 1:10 am ICT by IANS
Lucknow, July 12 (IANS) A Uttar Pradesh Police sub-inspector, accused of raping a woman, was Thursday arrested from a bus stop here, police said.
Meanwhile, following the allegations, Inspector General of Police, Lucknow zone Ashutosh Pandey transferred the circle officer of Malihabad and suspended the station incharge.
A woman had accused Sub Inspector Kamta Prasad Awasthi, posted in the district, of trying to rape her Wednesday and had escaped his clutches after biting him.
Awasthi, who had been suspended, was arrested from the Alambagh bus station in the city.
Taking a serious note of the incident, the IG ordered a probe into the matter and assigned Superintendent of Police (Protocol) Gyan Prakash Chaturvedi to take over the case.
An FIR has been lodged against the sub-inspector under various sections of IPC, police said.
Pandey noted that Awasthi had been accused of indiscipline earlier too, while posted at the Wazeerganj police station in the city, when he had refused to sign on the attendance register at the high court.
Meanwhile Director General of Police (DGP) Ambreesh Chandra Sharma said that orders have been issued to ensure that the policemen behaved in the best of way with the public and added that such acts would not be tolerated.
“We will ensure that such men who bring bad name to the force face the most stringent action,” he added.
- Men in khaki leave UP government red-faced - Jul 14, 2012
- Lucknow traffic cops stripped of power to issue challans - May 31, 2012
- Policeman booked for rape in UP - Jul 23, 2012
- Policeman suspended for letting off harassment accused - Apr 16, 2012
- Rs.5 lakh solatium for Tamil Nadu women raped by cops - Nov 29, 2011
- Compensate rape victim, Bihar told - Jan 31, 2012
- Kolkata rape: 'Misbehaving' policemen removed from duty - Feb 21, 2012
- Three cops killed as truck rams into police station - Jun 16, 2012
- 33 IPS officers shifted in UP, power chief also booted out - Jul 31, 2012
- Two booked for driving government employee to suicide - Jan 27, 2011
- Probe assault on advocate in police station: Court (Lead) - Oct 19, 2011
- Custody of five Rajasthan Police officers extended - May 26, 2011
- Mayawati orders probe into girl's death at police station (Lead) - Jun 13, 2011
- Two Bengal cops removed for misbehaving with woman complainant - Apr 26, 2012
- UP policeman sent to jail for sodomy - Aug 29, 2012
Tags: allegations, ashutosh, attendance register, awasthi, bus station, chandra, chaturvedi, clutches, cop, dgp, director general, fir, ig, inspector general, police station, policemen, rape, stringent action, superintendent, uttar pradesh police