Rape-accused BSP legislator suspendedJanuary 2nd, 2011 - 3:57 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Jan 2 (IANS) Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati Sunday suspended a legislator of her Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) accused of raping a minor girl.In an order, the chief minister said BSP legislator Pushottam Narain Dwivedi has been suspended from the party pending an inquiry by the Crime Investigation Department. If found guilty, Dwivedi will be expelled from the party and sent to jail.
“No one, howsoever important, will be spared,” the chief minister said in a stern message.
On Saturday, the chief minister ordered a police inquiry into the allegations of gangrape and illegal confinement of a minor girl by Dwivedi and his supporters in the state’s Banda district.
The girl, belonging to the Dalit community, had accused Dwivedi and his henchmen of not only subjecting her to gangrape but also using his influence to implicate her in a theft case.
Dwivedi accused her of stealing his licenced revolver and
Rs.5,000 from his house, for which she was currently lodged in jail in Banda, 180 km from here.
Mayawati got into action only after the issue was raised by both state Congress chief Rita Bahuguna Joshi and Samajwadi Party president Mulayam Singh Yadav, who charged her with shielding criminals in her party.
- Mayawati orders probe into rape allegations against BSP legislator - Jan 02, 2011
- Congress for judicial probe against rape-accused BSP lawmaker - Jan 02, 2011
- Congress demands arrest of 'rapist' BSP legislator - Dec 31, 2010
- Mayawati orders BSP legislator's arrest in minor's gang rape - Jan 12, 2011
- Banda rape victim released from jail - Jan 15, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh rape victim's medical report 'inconclusive' - Jan 04, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh girl was raped by legislator, his guards - Jan 11, 2011
- BSP legislator accused of rape arrested (Second Lead) - Jan 13, 2011
- Banda rape: CBI books BSP legislator - Sep 22, 2011
- Congress leader to meet Uttar Pradesh Dalit rape victim - Dec 29, 2010
- Mayawati suspends BSP legislator accused of rape (Lead) - Jan 02, 2011
- Rahul's healing touch - visits victims of sexual assault - Feb 07, 2011
- Apex court notice to Uttar Pradesh on Banda rape - Jan 21, 2011
- Rape accused legislator claims he is impotent - Jan 04, 2011
- Rahul travels to Banda village to meet rape victim (Lead, Changing dateline) - Feb 07, 2011
Tags: allegations, bahujan samaj party, banda district, chief minister, congress chief, crime investigation department, henchmen, illegal confinement, joshi, legislator, mulayam singh yadav, party president, police inquiry, revolver, rita, samaj, Samajwadi Party, state congress, stern message, theft case