Ranjeet clinches DSCL men’s tennis titleDecember 6th, 2008 - 6:19 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 6 (IANS) Top seed Ranjeet Virali Murugesan outclassed teenager Sriram Balaji Narayanaswamy 6-3, 6-4 to become the DSCL men’s tennis national champion at the DLTA courts here Saturday. The 23-year-old from Tamil Nadu did not drop a set in the tournament and with his solid groundstrokes and big forehand stifled Sriram, who lacked the experience to handle the pace and power of Ranjeet in the lopsided affair.
Ranjeet broke Sriram in the fourth and the sixth game of the first set but conceded the seventh. He would have closed the set in the next game but Sriram saved four set points to gain a temporary reprieve.
Ranjeet served out the set in the next game.
In the second set, Ranjeet was flawless even as Sriram tried to cut down on his errors but except facing a break point in the eighth game, he dominated the proceeding till the end.
Ranjeet broke Sriram early in the third game and with a forehand winner sealed the match in one hour and seventeen minutes.
“I was confident to win from the start. I served well today but Balaji was better with his serves in the second set. I have improved a lot this year. My fitness, too, is better now,” Ranjeet said.
“I have been playing well from the first match and psychologically I always felt I was a notch above than the rest. I have been improving with every match.
When asked that the absence of top players have left the field weak in this year’s nationals, Ranjeet said: “I know a lot of star players are missing from the tournament. But it hardly affected me. I got the chance to prove myself.”
Sriram, also from Tamil Nadu, admitted being outplayed by Ranjeet. “He played really well. I felt tired and had no answer to his forehand weapon. But it was a great tournament and I am happy that I made to the final,” the 18-year-old said.
The win has fetched Ranjeet Rs 30,000 and 35 AITA points while Sriram claimed Rs 20,000 and 25 AITA points.
- Smooth sailing for seeds in Bangalore ITF - Jun 13, 2012
- Chen stumbles into semis of ITF meet - Jun 14, 2012
- Jeevan survives close match in Bangalore ITF event - Jun 12, 2012
- ITF Tennis: Vishnu pockets title - Jun 16, 2012
- Balaji, Espasandin in ITF tennis title clash - May 04, 2012
- Myneni, Malik in title round of ITF meet - Jun 01, 2012
- Chen faces Vardhan in ITF title round - Jun 15, 2012
- Myneni packs off Murugesan in ITF meet - Jun 05, 2012
- Malik in Mandya Open semis - Jun 01, 2012
- Vignesh upsets Gajjar, Yuki breezes into ITF quarters - Jun 08, 2011
- Yuki limps out, Ranjeet to meet De Voest in ITF semis - May 13, 2010
- Vikram-Abhijeet win nationals doubles, Sriram to meet Rajneet(Lead) - Dec 05, 2008
- Sharma puts out Vijayaraghavan in ITF event - Jul 30, 2012
- Vishnu Vardhan top seed in ITF event - May 23, 2012
- Sriram, Ranjeet in DSCL tennis nationals semis - Dec 04, 2008