Ramzan begins in HyderabadAugust 1st, 2011 - 10:19 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Aug 1 (IANS) The Muslim holy month of fasting Ramzan began in Hyderabad and the rest of Andhra Pradesh with the sighting of the moon Monday.
Ruwait-e-Hilal or moon sighting committee announced that the moon has been sighted and Tuesday will be the first day of fasting.
With the committee confirming sighting of moon, announcements were made and sirens were blared from the mosques across the twin cities of Hyderabad and Secunderabad. People were seen congratulating each other on the occasion.
With the sighting of moon, Namaz-e-Taraveeh or special prayers began Monday night at the historic Mecca Masjid and hundreds of other mosques in the Muslim-majority old city of Hyderabad and other parts of the city.
People began flocking to the markets to make last-minute shopping for ‘Sehr’ or pre-dawn meals. The fasting, which begins at the dawn, ends with ‘Iftar’ at the sunset.
Hyderabad witnesses unprecedented economic activity during the fasting month with massive sale of dates and fruits for ‘Iftar’ while almost every eatery serves the delicious ‘Haleem’, the famous Iranian dish.
According to Muslim religious scholars, ‘Roza’ or fasting is the second most important pillar of Islam and is obligatory for every Muslim.
Those observing the fast refrain from eating, drinking or having sexual intercourse from the break of dawn to the sunset. The purpose of the fast is to cleanse the inner soul and teach about patience, spirituality, humility and submissiveness to Almighty Allah.
- Ramadan begins with the sighting of moon - Aug 11, 2010
- It's time to be in Hyderabad -- for Eid shopping! - Aug 28, 2011
- Famous Hyderabadi Haleem set to get GI tag - Sep 02, 2010
- Ramadan begins amid prayers in Kashmir - Jul 21, 2012
- Feasting all night long - at Jama Masjid of course (Feature) (With Images) - Aug 10, 2012
- 10 die in Pakistan suicide bombing - Aug 31, 2011
- Pakistan celebrates Eid - Aug 31, 2011
- Cleric to child, Ramadan spirit binds them all (Lead) - Sep 08, 2010
- Prayers, feasts and piety - it's Ramadan in India (Special) - Sep 08, 2010
- Old Hyderabad never sleeps for Eid shopping (Letter from Hyderabad) - Aug 16, 2012
- Haleem gets Geographical Indication status - Sep 07, 2010
- Muslim clerics, Hindu priests fast for Modi's 'divine punishment' - Sep 24, 2011
- Eid celebrated with prayers for peace, feasting (Roundup) - Aug 20, 2012
- Muslims observes Ramadan with prayers at mosques - Aug 12, 2010
- This Hyderabad mosque is more than a place of worship - Aug 12, 2012
Tags: almighty allah, break of dawn, fasting month, haleem, having sexual intercourse, hilal, mecca masjid, moon sighting, muslim holy, muslim majority, namaz, pillar of islam, pre dawn, religious scholars, roza, secunderabad, sighting of moon, sighting of the moon, submissiveness, taraveeh