Ramdev backs regional languages over English in schoolsMarch 25th, 2011 - 7:04 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, March 25 (IANS) Yoga guru Swami Ramdev Friday backed regional languages Konkani and Marathi as the medium of instruction in schools in Goa that is witnessing heated public debate and rallies over making English the medium of instruction.
“We are not enemies of the English language, but Indian languages should be given first preference,” Ramdev told reporters in Panaji, when asked if he would back English as a medium of instruction (MOI) in Goan schools.
“Almost every country in the world uses its own indigenous language as a medium of instruction. There is a reason for that. Your own language helps you stay in snyc with your culture,” said Ramdev, who is in Goa to address a public meeting organized by the Bharat Swabhiman Trust (BST).
The yoga guru also said that attempts to make English as the MOI in Goa was aimed at destroying local languages of the region namely Konkani and Marathi.
Ramdev’s comments have come amidst a raging debate in the state over the MOI to be used in schools.
While the Forum for Rights of Children’s Education (FORCE), a citizens front backed by a section of Catholic politicians and the clergy, is supporting English as the MOI, another forum Bharatiya Bhasha Suraksha Manch (BBSM), supported by a section of the freedom fighters and rightwing protagonists, is favouring Konkani and Marathi as the medium of instruction.
The debate in Goa comes against the backdrop of the central Right to Education (RTE) Act, which envisions the child’s mother tongue - in Goa’s case Konkani — as the MOI. The act is scheduled to be ratified in the state legislative assembly soon.
At present the Goa government offers aid and grants only to schools in which Konkani or Marathi is used as the MOI.
Schools with English as the MOI are not provided the government grant-in-aid.
- Fissures in Goa coalition over medium of instruction - Mar 26, 2011
- Delhi meeting to discuss Goa's linguistic deadlock - May 12, 2011
- Goa Church backs English as teaching medium - Mar 30, 2011
- Goa freedom fighters oppose patronage to English - Jun 13, 2011
- Goa's medium of instruction issue takes communal turn - May 24, 2011
- Anti-English protestors block highway in Goa - May 27, 2011
- English, regional languages battle it out in Goa - Mar 23, 2011
- Boycott Goa chief minister: Congress ideologue - Jun 14, 2011
- Anti-English protestors threaten Goa shut down Monday - Jun 05, 2011
- Parrikar backs regional languages in Goa schools - Jun 06, 2012
- Goa wears deserted look due to anti-English bandh - Jun 06, 2011
- Black flags to greet Sonia Gandhi in Goa - Dec 15, 2011
- On-road protests to lend new focus to Goa film fest - Nov 22, 2011
- English or Konkani: Goa debates on what to use in schools - Mar 20, 2011
- Roadmap aside, urgent issues await Sonia in Goa - Dec 16, 2011
Tags: catholic politicians, freedom fighters, goa government, government grant, indian languages, indigenous language, konkani, legislative assembly, marathi, mother tongue, protagonists, public debate, regional languages, rights of children, rte, s education, schools in goa, snyc, swami, yoga guru