Raman Thediya Seethai: sheer poetry on celluloid (Tamil film review - Rating ***)September 20th, 2008 - 4:44 pm ICT by IANS
Film: “Raman Thediya Seethai” (RTS); Cast: Cheran, Pasupathi, Nitin Sathya, Vimala Raman, Karthiga, Navya Nair, Gajala, Ramya Nambeeshan; Music: Vidyasagar; Cinematography: Rajesh Yadav; Direction: Jagannath; Rating ***”Raman Thediya Seethai” (Ram’s quest for Sita) is one movie whose review needs a Ramayana of trivia and praise.
The film is a slick, simple, splendid entertainer sans sex and sleaze.
Its 1972 namesake had enough oomph, a hit pair in the form of the late thespian M.G. Ramachandran and Jayalalitha who went on to become chief ministers of Tamil Nadu later on the strengths of their film background.
It was the 49th release of 1972 out of a total of 54 and MGR’s third and yet a rare flop in both the movie-politicians’ careers.
While the box office future of what is being reviewed now cannot be predicted, “Raman Thediya Seethai” circa September 2008 is sheer poetry on celluloid that has the potential to rev-up the fortunes of two actors who had recently delivered flops - its main protagonist played by Cheran and supporting actor Nitin Sathya.
It is all about the travails of an ex-mentally challenged businessman Venugopal (Cheran) whose bride-hunting exercise turns almost into a thankless exertion till he is helped by a golden-hearted, visually handicapped radio jockey and his wife (played by Pasupathi and Gajala) and a kind three-wheeler driver (Nitin Sathya) - a selfless Samaritan with a twist.
The other ladies in the cast - Karthiga, Vimala Raman, Ramya Nambeeshan and Navya Nair - put in stellar performances as they lovingly goad the tale towards its simple, believable, yet beautiful climax.
Director Jagannath has proved that world class cinema needn’t have needless extensions of ’sexcapades’, mindless violence and foreign locales to entice the audience.
Rajesh Yadav’s visuals canned in picturesque Nagercoil captivatingly please the eye.
Vidyasagar has scored the bull’s eye with his music.
- Navya Nair to wed on January 21 - Dec 24, 2009
- 'Gowri Putra' - an average affair (Kannada Movie Review) - Jul 28, 2012
- Norway Tamil film festival kick-starts - Feb 08, 2010
- Ranga The Donga Movie Review: Nothing To Offer To The Audience - Jan 03, 2011
- Remya Nambeesan Having Great Time Both In Kollywood And Mollywood! - Jan 08, 2011
- Curtains come down on Norway Tamil Film Festival - Feb 15, 2010
- Vimala Raman Lands A Heroine-Centric Project - Jan 04, 2011
- Santhosh confirms his marriage with Navya Nair - Nov 20, 2009
- 'Ranga The Donga' neither for classes or masses (Telugu Movie Review) - Jan 02, 2011
- Navya writes autobiography - Nov 10, 2009
- Suresh Gopi- Navya Nair team up again - Sep 24, 2009
- Tennis: Karman, Nitin annex titles - Aug 18, 2012
- 'Raaj' fails to make an impact (Telugu Movie Review) - Mar 19, 2011
- Ajmal returns to Malayalam - Apr 26, 2010
- Drona's grand release - Jan 09, 2010