Ramalinga Raju’s followers rally behind himJanuary 13th, 2009 - 1:59 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Jan 13 (IANS) He may have committed the biggest ever fraud in India’s corporate history but for people in his native West Godavari district in Andhra Pradesh and his die-hard supporters, Satyam Computer Services founder Ramalinga Raju is still the hero.Though the IT magnate is in jail after admitting to a Rs.70 billion (approx $1.5 billion) fraud, he still enjoys the support of his admirers who hail his social service initiatives, especially the 108 ambulance service.
“Some people are only interested in making allegations. They have forgotten all the good work done by Raju garu,” said Soma Raju, an employee of the Emergency Medical and Research Institute (EMRI) promoted by the disgraced former chairperson of Satyam.
Rallying behind the son of the soil, people in West Godavari district are planning to hold meetings in every village and town of the district to express their support and sympathy for Raju.
His followers argue that he fudged the company accounts as part of business strategy and not to siphon off the money. They are ready to condone him for the manipulation of funds because of the social services he rendered under the Byrraju Foundation and EMRI.
“People in the remote villages have high respect for him. If anyone falls sick or meets with an accident in the villages there is a 108 ambulance to rush him to the hospital. Earlier, people had to depend on the bullock cart or even carry the sick and injured in their hands,” said Ramesh Verma, an agriculturist, who came to this Andhra Pradesh capital all the way from Bhimavaram in West Godavari district to show his support for Raju.
“He made this district and the entire state proud by starting Satyam and building it into a multinational company. What he did was to help the company and its employees and not to benefit his family,” said Verma.
Bhimavaram town is set to witness a public rally Jan 23 in support of Raju. A similar rally is planned in Garagaparru, Raju’s village, and in the surrounding villages and towns.
People in the villages feel indebted to the Raju family for taking up various philanthropic activities under Byrraju Foundation. Though the family had migrated to Hyderabad in the 1960s, B. Satyanarayana Raju and later his son B. Ramalinga Raju tried to pay back to their village and the district.
The foundation runs a drinking water project for 200 villages, a health centre for the benefit of people in 15 villages and several schools.
Backed by the technical expertise of Satyam, the EMRI through the 108 ambulance saved many lives by shifting the injured in road accidents to hospitals in the shortest possible time.
The state government has allayed apprehensions that it would be closed and said it would ensure that the service continues uninterrupted.
Some of the followers turned up to express their solidarity when Raju was produced before a magistrate on Saturday.
His admirers are now praying for his well-being. A group of five supporters held a ‘yagam’ at a temple here Monday to pray for the well-being of Raju and his family.
“We are praying for his health, early release and also for the welfare of employees and stakeholders of Satyam and Maytas,” said S. Srinivas Reddy.
- Raju supported by followers despite fall from grace - Jan 17, 2009
- EMRI looking for corporates, donors to replace Raju family - Jan 18, 2009
- G.V.K. Reddy to help EMRI, brainchild of Satyam Raju - May 27, 2009
- Top names quit board of Raju promoted body - Jan 13, 2009
- Palanquin bearers to ferry patients in Himachal - Aug 16, 2012
- Raju-promoted EMRI to make financial details public (Lead) - Jan 13, 2009
- Satyam Ramalinga Raju released on bail - Nov 05, 2011
- G.V.K. Reddy elected chairman of '108 ambulance' (Lead) - May 27, 2009
- Ramalinga Raju: From Andhra's pride to disgrace (Profile) - Jan 07, 2009
- Kalam urged to return to EMRI governing board - Jan 21, 2009
- Protests and support for Satyam's Raju - Jan 10, 2009
- Emergency? Indians can dial 108 for help - Jun 22, 2008
- EMRI is now GVK EMRI - Jun 05, 2009
- Satyam scam: Bail of Ramalinga Raju, five others cancelled - Oct 26, 2010
- Former Satyam chief Raju gets bail (Second Lead) - Aug 18, 2010