Ramakrishnan, Zakaria, Chatwal amongst NRI Padma awardeesJanuary 25th, 2010 - 7:20 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 25 (IANS) Thirteen foreigners, non resident Indians (NRIs) and people of Indian origin (PIOs), including Nobel laureate Venkatraman Ramakrishnan, Indian American journalist Fareed Zakaria and New York-based hotelier Sant Singh Chatwal, have been given the Padma awards this year for services to India.
While Britain-based Ramakrishnan, who got the Nobel Prize for Chemistry last year, has got the Padma Vibhushan - the second highest award - for science and engineering, five have got the Padma Bhushan - the third higest award - and the rest the Padma Shri.
Those that have got the Padma Bhushan are Newsweek International editor Zakaria for journalism, US-based Prof Tan Chung for literature and education, Chatwal, hotelier and lobbyist, for public affairs and Arogyaswami Joseph Paulraj, who is also US-based, for science and engineering. Also in the list is Britain Manvinder Singh Bangal alias Vindi Banga for trade and industry.
From the US are Sheldon Pollock for literature and education, Ponisseril Somasundaram for science and engineering and Sudhir M. Parikh, doctor and newspaper publisher, for social work. From Spain is Dr. Rafael Iruzubieta Fernandez for public affairs.
The United Arab Emirates’ J.R. Gangaramani has got the Padma Shri for social work and Bahrain’s B. Raveendran Pillai for trade and industry.
In the Padma Shri list are Prof Hermann Kulke from Germany for literature and education.
- Aamir Khan, Rehman, among Padma awardees - Jan 25, 2010
- India honours scientist Ramakrishnan, Ebrahim Alkazi, Zohra Segal (Roundup) - Jan 25, 2010
- Eight people of Indian origin in Padma list - Jan 25, 2012
- Sant Chatwal, Zohra Sehgal, Saif Ali receive Padma awards - Apr 07, 2010
- Mario Miranda, Bhupen Hazarika in Padma honours list (Roundup) - Jan 25, 2012
- Padma awards given to Ramakrishnan, Rahman, Aamir - Apr 01, 2010
- Wipro's Premji leads Padma awardees among industrialists - Jan 25, 2011
- 130 Padma awardees announced on R-Day eve - Jan 25, 2010
- Kurup, Mahapatra among Padma awardees for education, literature - Jan 25, 2011
- First woman press photographer among 32 Padma women awardees - Jan 25, 2011
- Not happy about controversy: Sant Chatwal - Apr 08, 2010
- Ramakrishnan, Pratap Reddy, Zohra get Padma Vibhushan - Jan 25, 2010
- Indian-American elected to Royal Society of Canada - Sep 10, 2012
- 19 women among Padma award winners - Jan 25, 2012
- Five NRIs named for Padma Shri - Jan 25, 2011
Tags: american journalist, banga, bangal, fareed zakaria, hermann kulke, indian origin, newspaper publisher, newsweek international, nobel laureate, nobel prize, padma awards, padma bhushan, padma shri, padma vibhushan, pillai, raveendran, resident indians, sant singh chatwal, sheldon pollock, united arab emirates