Ramakrishna Paramahansa’s 175th birth anniversary celebratedMarch 6th, 2011 - 3:54 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, March 6 (IANS) Lakhs of people from across the country thronged Belur Math - the global headquarters of Ramakrishna Math and Ramakrishna Mission - in adjacent Howrah district Sunday to pay respects to renowned sage Sri Ramakrishna Paramahansa on his 175th birth anniversary.
Thousands also went to Kamarpukur, the saint’s birthplace in Hooghly district, about 100 km from Kolkata, to pay homage to one of the greatest saints of India.
“We are celebrating Sri Ramakrishna Paramahansa’s birth anniversary today. Although the birthday according to the English calendar is on Feb 18, we celebrate Ramakrishnadeb’s birthday according to the Hindu almanac,” an official spokesperson of Ramakrishna Math and Ramakrishna Mission told IANS.
Several thousand people patiently stood in line for the bhog, religious offering.
“I have come all the way from Birbhum to Belur Math to pay respects. I come here to achieve peace of mind. Every year on the birthday of Sri Ramakrishana, I come here,” a devotee Dibyajyoti Ray said.
“I stay in London but during this time of year, I visit Bengal to take part in this ceremony. I have been doing this for several years,” said Pankaj Ray.
“I have been coming here for the past 20 years and as long as I live, I will continue to come. This place is so peaceful,” said 70-year-old Swapan Banerjee.
According to the English calendar, Sri Ramakrishna Paramahansa was born Feb 18, 1836. One of the most revered mystics of India, his message of peace and devotion was spread across the world by his disciple Swami Vivekananda.
- Thousands watch Kumari worship at Belur Math - Oct 04, 2011
- Pranab visits Belur Math - Jun 24, 2012
- India on World Heritage Committee for 4 years - Nov 11, 2011
- Ramakrishna Mission vice president dead - Oct 20, 2011
- Durga Puja reaches its peak with Mahashtami - Oct 15, 2010
- Pranab receives tumultuous welcome on arrival in Kolkata - Jun 22, 2012
- Science merges with art in laser tribute to Vivekananda - Aug 22, 2012
- Mamata lays foundation stone of Kolkata Metro extension - Jan 02, 2010
- Mamata mulls autonomy for Ramakrishna Mission schools - Jul 05, 2012
- Pranab appeals to undecided parties to support him (Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- Sea of humanity throngs Bengal streets on Mahashtami (Lead) - Oct 15, 2010
- Swami Vivekananda's life in 3D animation - Aug 05, 2011
- Indian CEO spreads message of insurance and Vivekananda in Nepal (Feature) - Feb 18, 2010
- Soon, a film on Satyajit Ray's character Shonku - May 02, 2012
- Durga Puja reaches a peak with Kumari worship - Sep 26, 2009
Tags: belur math, bengal, birbhum, birth anniversary, devotee, disciple, english calendar, global headquarters, homage, howrah district, lakhs, mystics, peace of mind, ramakrishna mission, religious offering, several thousand, sri ramakrishna paramahansa, swami, swapan, time of year